POLL: Which file system in 2022. ext4, btrfs, xfs, zfs, f2fs (choose 1)

HDDs have inferior sequential I/O and horrific random I/O spped so you could use compression feature of BTRFS to speed up I/O and also save space.

1 Like

I donā€™t know the answer. The thread has been reopened.

https://archlinux.org/packages/?name=compsize

1 Like

I started using btrfs on my virtual machines simply because compression saves space.
I have many virtual machines for various testing and other purposes, so saving space is worth it.

2 Likes

All the filesystems mentioned in the poll would be fine for that data.

Yes. If it would be better than a conventional filesystem would depend on how compressible the data is and if snapshots would be valuable to you with that data.

1 Like

I donā€™t need snapshots on this HDD because I back up the data manually. I am more interested in improving the performance a bit, since the disk is quite slow when accessed.

HDD is very slow compared to SSD. Nowadays SSDs are rather cheap.

If the data is highly compressible, btrfs will probably improve performance assuming you have a decent CPU. If it isnā€™t, then ext4 will probably perform better.

Sure, but not 6 TB ā€¦

Edit: typo

Well, I still have a very old i5 2500, a current Ryzen 7 is planned for later, but that will take a while. So it does not bring much to go to another file system. Thank you.

I guess you mean 6 TB, not 6 GB?

1 Like

Not much talk about xfs and f2fs but both seem like good options also. I have installed with both and or a mix with ext4.

Sorry, of course, typo

1 Like

@anon50380917
I donā€™t see many 6 TB SSD. Here mostly 4TB but honestly i would rather go with a hard drive option because they are cheap. Slower mind you but if itā€™s mainly storage i think itā€™s fine.

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m doing ā€¦ SSD in this size are priceless (at least for me ā€¦).

You can get some good performance type hard drives such as Western Digital Black or others fairly cheap.

My HDD is a WD Blue, the backup disks are also WD Blue. I can live with the condition, had only hoped that a newer file system could at least get something out for the internal disk. But all is well ā€¦

I am also using two 6Tb HDD, price is affordable at least. I use them in my server configured as raid, in case one breaks, I have a duplicateā€¦

1 Like

What do you mean by this?

I mean that a different file system than the ext4 currently used might bring some performance gain on the HDD.