Plugging in a LUKS-encrypted USB SSD - authentication prompt?

I’m a bit confused. I have a USB-C Luks-encrypted SSD that I see different behavior plugging in to different machines.

On machine A, which was used to originally create the volume (LUKS, btrfs), I get the password prompt for LUKS and then an authentication challenge for the right to mount the volume.
On machine B, I get the LUKS password prompt, but then the disk mounts without authentication.

I like the workflow on (B) and don’t see why (A) is presenting the second challenge. Other disks mount without requiring authentication. I have the Plasma settings checked to automount attached devices.

Did you set up a mount point for the disk on machine A when you were originally creating it? Check if the system is auto-mounting to that same mount point. If so, perhaps your user does not have read access to the mount point.

No, I just rely on the automount behavior that generally brings it up under /run/media/… I don’t see a mount authentication prompt for any other removable media (e.g. USB sticks), so it’s weird.

Found it by reviewing /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/ and found ‘org.kde.kpmcore.externalcommand.policy’ on the affected system. Moving it out of the folder, the second authentication challenge does not come up anymore and the drive happily mounts.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.