Plasma, Wayland, nVidia/AMD hybrid graphics

I’m a little puzzled about how to diagnose this. I booted the new Nobara 39 distribution and found that its Plasma desktop ran on my hybrid graphics set-up (Lenovo Legion 16ACH6H) pretty much flawlessly (other than not having the 165 Hz refresh option provided).

Under EndeavourOS, my daily driver, if I try to use Wayland, the entire GUI is locked-out. Mouse cursor won’t move, but parts of the UI are updating (e.g. the clock); I have to hard reset the system (cannot even use the keyboard to switch to a tty.

I looked at the Arch wiki, but it doesn’t seem to bring up anything helpful in my case so I thought I’d ask here in case folks have some ideas of what’s likely blowing up. Cinnamon 6 seems to run with Wayland without issue under EndeavourOS, so it’s something about Plasma that is struggling.

In EndeavourOS, bloat is sin.

So if you have 2 legs, you have to amputate one of them, yes, you need two legs to run effectively but without one leg you are now 3kg less weight!

So I’m betting probably some dependency missing or incompatible for your specific machine.

However it’s usually does not happen, the Dev like to take out bloat but not the one needed to run basic function.

Similar set-up, 17ACH6H, set to run nVidia in bios, no problems.
It needs nvidia-drm.modeset set:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nvidia-drm.modeset=1 nohpet quiet resume=UUID=9d4e515c-9542-43fb-8175-1b1f8f27b762 loglevel=3 nowatchdog nvme_load=YES"

(Oldish install, not systemd-boot).

Ahah. Figured it out - it needed ‘nvidia-drm.fbdev=1’ added to the boot line (i.e. added to the existing modeset parameter to give nvidia-drm.modeset=1 nvidia-drm.fbdev=1)

Lovely.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.