Plasma Wallpaper and Desktop Settings Reset on Logout

System Information:
ASUSTek GL702VM Laptop
KDE Plasma Version: 5.25.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.97.0
Qt Version: 5.15.5
Kernel Version: 5.19.7-arch1-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11

I think the title says it all. My desktop wallpaper keeps resetting to the default KDE Plasma wallpaper for 5.25 (dark pink spaceship with pink astronauts getting out of it) every time I log out.

This is a fresh install (less than 3 days). I haven’t changed any of the default settings.

This does not happen to my KDE install. Did you use the Welcome app to set EndeavourOS default wallpaper after this happens.

No I did not. I actually created another user to see if the problem was with my user account. The wallpaper for the new user was the default EndeavourOS wallpaper at first, but when I logged out and logged back in, the wallpaper for the new user changed to the KDE Plasma default wallpaper. I have no idea why this wallpaper (the Plasma default wallpaper) keeps overwriting the other wallpapers on my system. It’s very freaking annoying!

Well it’s never happened to me so it’s odd. Have you made changes to the installed system?

Of course. I installed several applications (that I normally use) and themes. I also installed the displaylink driver in order to use external monitors at my school. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/DisplayLink

As you can probably recall from several of my post, I’ve also had KDE Plasma in EndeavourOS installed on my Surface Pro 8 tablet for several months now. I just updated it and I am not having this issue in Plasma. It only seems to be affecting this one machine.

Maybe it’s related to display link? I don’t know any reason for it happening.

I uninstalled displaylink, rebooted, and it’s still happening. It is exactly like this bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=427861

My wallpaper gets reset, any widgets that were on the desktop disappears, and any desktop related settings get reset to default.

In settings, go to global theme and uncheck the option of choose desktop layout from theme, apply it and then restart.

Check whether it helps.

This may have been reported and confirmed as a bug but under what conditions because i have never ever seen it for me on KDE and also many other users don’t have it either. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve had this happen several times in the past, that after a restart, the Plasma default wallpaper was there again, the widgets were gone and the shortcuts were all arranged inks on top. Also the folder settings for the visibility of the thumbnails on the desktop are always reset. Happens from time to time again …

Did not work.

This is the first time I have ever experience this. I wish I could find a fix for this. Right now, I’ve saved all of the settings I wanted for my desktop in the ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc file, then made the file read only because it was getting overwritten on each log in. I then made a script that restarts the plasmashell after log in. So when I log in, the wallpaper, desktop applets, and desktop settings get reset to default, but since the system can’t overwrite the file, a quick restart of the plasmashell restores the saved settings and dumps the attempted overwrite.

1 Like

Check your autostart folder and your dot files for some script or command that might do this.
Caching is strange in Plasma, so try to clear as much Plasma related stuff from ~/.cache.
Also confirm your settings for the session in Plasma Settings and try changing them.

If it was widely reported, I would think that it could be a bug. Let’s wait for more users to report this…

So after trying several things independently and none of them working, I ended up taking the nuclear approach. I deleted my .local and .config folders, clear the cache, then completely uninstalled Plasma (I had GNOME installed as a backup). I then rebooted and re-installed Plasma. Everything is working fine now.

Edit: Ok, I found the “real” solution. I set the environmental variable “QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=kde” in /etc/environment. For some reason, this screws up the wallpapers and Plasma desktop settings on my laptop, but not on my tablet.

These DE specific environment variables should be set locally in .xprofile, for users that use more than one DE.
Here’s an example of how to implement it:

# Make QT apps qt5ct configured on non-KDE sessions
if [[ "${XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP,,}" =~ (plasma|kde) ]] || [[ "${XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP,,}" == "plasma" ]]; then
	unset QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME
	#export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
	#export PLASMA_USE_QT_SCALING=1
else
	export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
fi

You can customize to your needs, even adding more checks to target other sessions specific required vars.

4 Likes

Thank you very much! It seems like it is getting harder and harder to run more than one DE on the same computer with anything but the default settings. Will this also work (by changing the session desktop) for setting Plasma specific variables that need to be ignored by GNOME?

It should, if you use the right/correct tests.
To find your current session’s variables, run export or env in terminal.

Something that (for me!) has brought at least one change so far: I explicitly set the permissions of /home (including the .config files contained therein) to user. Possibly there were some inconsistencies there.

Assign user rights to all files in the home/user directory:

sudo chown -R -v $USER:$USER /home/$USER

I don’t know if it was because of that, but it’s conceivable.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.