Plasma and XFCE

Is it safe to install XFCE alongside my Plasma installation? And how i xan do that?

It is totally safe to install it, however if you actually use both you may notice some…strangeness. For example, you might have two of certain things like bluetooth managers or similar. If you try to use different gtk themes you might hit some conflicts. All minor, manageable problems but it is worth noting that it isn’t push button simple.

One way to avoid most of these inconveniences, is to have separate users, one you use for xfce and one for plasma. That isn’t a requirement though.

sudo pacman -S xfce4 xfce4-goodies
1 Like

I noticed both Gnome and XFCE knowing not to run each other’s services (in startup and session settings you would see the services belonging to the other DE with italicized characters as a sign of having been detected as foreign, and automatically disabled for the current session). I’d expect Plasma to do just as well.

1 Like

It has been a while since I tried xfce and plasma together but I remember it being mostly fine with some minor issues. One thing I remember is that plasma creates a file ~/.gtkrc-2.0 which caused havoc with xfce theming. Little things like that.

Of course, with separate users that would be a non-issue.

1 Like