Permission Changes

What does one do when updating and we see these changes in permissions? This is one thing on linux i have never done much with. I’m not in the habit of changing permissions and have only done it a few times. Don’t really understand what permissions they should or shouldn’t have. What changes them in the first place?

[2024-01-18T11:23:01-0500] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/
filesystem: 750  package: 755

[2024-01-18T21:49:17-0500] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /var/log/audit/
filesystem: 700  package: 755
1 Like

You either change them to match or ignore the warning.

They change because the packager has changed them.

This describes the reason for the /var/log/audit change:

3 Likes

Usually i ignore them but i wondered if i should be? Would the /var/log/audit be more significant? I read it but still don’t understand the consequences of changing or not changing it.

Your current permissions are more restrictive so there is no urgency to change it.

Yes i understand that 700 vs 755 will have groups and all users no permission to read and execute correct?

Yes, although execute permissions on a directory are also what allows you to cd into it.

1 Like

Okay…didn’t realize that.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.