PC does not power off properly

I do see error messages related to Gnome but not sure if any of it is causing a shutdown problem. Maybe someone else will look at the log also. Have you tried any other desktop other than gnome? Also have to tried it on xorg rather than wayland. When you go to log in the click on the gear icon at the bottom right corner and change to xorg and try it to see if the problem persists.

Any link for that?

1 Like

Yes, I did. In the beginning I used Unity. After cannonical abandoned unity, I used deepin. I think I have started using Gnome when I changed to Antergos.

Yes, but its in german. Desktop fĂźr Unity/Windows p.2

1 Like

This is a common issue with many computers. Not all manufacturers implement the ACPI standards as they should.

@makeixo

This is a common symptom of an ACPI error. Adding a an ACPI parameter to the grub may fix this issue. To add a kernel parameter, do the following:

1. Press “E” on the grub screen and find the line with the “quiet” parameter.

2. Replace the word “quiet” with the following parameter acpi_osi='Windows 2009' .

3. Press F-10 to boot your computer.

Make sure you type in the parameter exactly. Otherwise it will not work. Those are single “tick marks” around the Windows 2009.

If you need more information about ACPI kernel parameters, or the one I suggested did not work, take a look at the following wiki entry. If the one I suggested does work, you will need to add it to grub so it will be used on every boot. How to do this, is also discussed in the wiki article.

https://endeavouros.com/docs/hardware-and-network/powersaving/acpi-kernel-parameters/

10 Likes

Wow - seems like you solved the problem. I have changed the grub file and it seems like it powers off correctly, therefore I have marked it as solved.

If the issue reoccurs, then I will re-open the topic.

Thank you @all. :heart: :heart: :heart: #bestcommunityever

5 Likes

Glad to have helped. It is something I have had to do with several computers of the same age as yours. I guessed at how old it was from the FM2 chip set in the motherboard’s model number.

1 Like

To be sure, we have to wait I think at least 1,5-2 weeks, but nevertheless I am thankful for every idea, which helps to solve this issue.

I didn’t know this was in the wiki. I assume you use acpi_osi=‘Windows 2009’ based on the era of the hardware? I wonder if the same result would happen using acpi_osi=‘linux’ ??

[11. Nov 2020] Seems like its new.

I recently wrote the article. It is a reworking and update of my forum post, link, I made in July 2020.

Yes, you want to use the ACPI OSI string that is closest to the release date of the hardware. According to the ACPI standard, newer OSI strings should be backwards compatible, however, I have found that this is not always the case.

Not really. Linux distros, via the kernel, already follow the standard properly. Many hardware manufacturers see the ACPI standard more as a “guidance” instead of a standard. They often make “tweaks” that supposedly provide “performance” boosts, but instead break compatibility with the standard.

What the ACPI kernel parameters do is tell the kernel to “mimic” acpi calls as if they are coming from a different operating system. By using acpi_osi=Linux you are already telling the kernel to mimic the system that is already installed. Also, if memory serves, this kernel parameter has been depreciated.

I hope this helps to make things a little more clear. I go more into depth about this in the wiki article.

4 Likes

Yes understood. It’s hard sometimes to get people to try things as they give up when the first few things tried don’t give them the result they want. It’s different when you are doing things yourself.

1 Like

The first sign of needing an ACPI kernel parameter is…

Hopefully, this will help someone out in the future.

4 Likes

And fairly often with the early Asus boards you could tell it to shutdown, and instead it would restart… :roll_eyes:

Sadly I have to re-open this fred.

By now I have tried every OSI sting. It seems to get better but thats acutally more a feeling without any proof, but it not solved. :frowning: :expressionless:

Given this is an issue with all Linux distributions, have you contacted the system manufacturer?

As I am the one who put the parts together, that would be me. :ok_man:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I think its somehow a kernel related issue. I have started to use the Zen-Kernel some days ago and up to now it has powered off properly every time.

But using different kernels bring different issues. On the zen-kernel I notice that some times, when I watch videos e.g. on youtube with opera, the PC freezes. This is an issue I had years ago and which has vanished back then on day to another.

I have had the same issue for years on different different distros and different kernels. It seems to get better with bios updates and kernel updates but then it will return without changing either. I run dual boot with Windows 10, so normally I use ‘shutdown now -r’ allowing a Windows reboot and then shut down from there. That has always worked perfectly. I have also ran the -r and interrupted Grub to get to a Grub command line then typed ‘halt.’ That works more consistently then a normal Linux shutdown from terminal or DTE, but it still isn’t perfect. I haven’t used Zen for a long time for the issues you have had. I can work around the shutdown issue. Similar to my grub method, you could always reboot to BIOS and shutdown from there if you have a shutdown option in your bios.