Password no longer worked after updates

Anyone else have this happen? I did about 14 days of updates and at the end my password would not work. Did a reboot and again, password was no good. USB booted, mounted, chroot and changed my password and all is fine.

Just seems really odd how this happens.

Occam’s razor: You forgot your password.

Not sure I would forget after just calling yay to install the new packages . . . I guess anything is possible. Anyone else smelling burnt toast or is just me? :rofl:

LOL.

Next time you are sure you didn’t forgot your password be sure to backup the /etc/shadow file.

So IF the hashing algo is known you can see if the password you remember generates the same hash as your old pass.

:)

1 Like

Could it be as simple as the keyboard layout has changed, e.g. because of pressing some special key like NumLock?

1 Like

I have a 60% keyboard, no NumLock and did check capslock. Just weird, like the salt value for the password file changed, IDK

the salt value for the password file changed

You couldn’t be the only one if that’s the case…

Merging the .pacnew incorrectly to the /etc/passwd file might cause something like this if the passwd file is incorrect now…

Edit: also might be useful to read this:

man faillock
2 Likes

❯ ls -lr passwd*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   32 Jan 19 12:10 passwd.pacnew
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2716 Aug  4  2023 passwd.OLD
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2855 Oct  3 20:30 passwd-
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2927 Oct  9 12:24 passwd

Did a search on /var/log and found this gem

pacman.log
47116:[2024-01-16T08:33:59-0500] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] # gpasswd -a $USER plugdev
48368:[2024-01-23T09:59:07-0500] [ALPM] warning: /etc/passwd installed as /etc/passwd.pacnew

Looks like passwd has not been touched lately.
So faillock above is my next idea…

2 Likes

So it is working now?

Yes, after chroot-a-roo and resetting the passwd all is well. Next time I should have investigated more before changing the passwd

Yeah, that might have revealed what really happened.
Anyway, glad that you got it working! :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.