Partitioning a hdd that already got several TB of data in it, without messing up the existing data

I have sort of read thru that homepage. It says timeshift is = windows system restore . Windows system restore does create a backup of files and even files (if i recall rightly).

Now i just want to know if timeshift actually make a copy or image of the files, so that when the actual files (be it system files or config file) is no longer there, it will restore the missing files from it “store house”.

I have read it a bit.
Just at the first few lines, it already says:
Each snapshot is a full system backup that can be browsed with a file manager.
It says each snapshot is a FULL system BACKUP, which can even be browsed with file manager… now that looks like a copy of what it intended to protect isn’t it ?
Why then @freebird54 said it doesn’t store data ? I mean os files and configurations are “data” too…

You need to make a distinction between system files and personal files (everything under your user home directory). Timeshift is designed to make the snapshot of the system files by default and not the files under the user’s home directory (personal data, .config files/foders).

I knew that. This has being mentioned many many times in this thread alone.
EVEN so, it can still be used to backup personal data… if one cares

So that means timeshift do backup data (system data or user data )
I can also use “backintime” to do system backup to replace timeshift , can i ?

I don’t use backintime so sorry I can’t be of help there.

No, do not use Back In Time as replacement for timeshift. Timeshift is great for snapshots of your system partitions.
Back In Time is great for the backup of your personal data. But with Back In Time you will not have any possibility to revert back to one of your snapshots from grub, as @2000 has explained in his tutorials.

1 Like

@pebcak
Just one more question bothering me:
Please don’t be angry or what, i just really currious why it is not possible or not advicable …
Since timeshift constantly make snapshot. It can detect differences in files and make incremental snapshot.
WHY then it is not adviced to backup personal data (for example, everything in home, including /Desktop and /Download and /Pictures …etc) ?
Everyone seems to be give reason:
because timeshift will restore (if got any corruption of system) those system file together with your personal datas under /home/* and hence, those CHANGES IN DATA that you have made over the time will be “overwritten” to the oldest data state.
If timeshift makes data difference check daily, and snapshot those changes of your personal data …

If at anytime, restore of data is needed: kernel files along with personal datas will be restored, since the personal data is just snapshot this morning, then all is well … isn’t it ? well, if in that case, the user should configure timeshift to take snapshot ever so often… but that is ok isn’t it, since timeshift only do incremental snapshot…

Pls enlighten me… I do agree by clear mind, personal data and system files are 2 different things, shld be backup differently… lol… just very currious…
Pls don’t think i am stubborn to the bone. i just think it is possible…that’s all, but i won’t do it. :laughing:

I guess if you make rather frequent snapshots including your personal data then, in case of restoring, the difference would not be that huge. But you need to take into account that you will loos those changes that have been made to the content of your home directory between when you made the latest snapshot and the time of restoring.

Good, now i am happy, because i finally know WHY ppl said timeshift is not for personal data… lol
Well, if the person never do any data backup , at least he got his data back, rather than all data lost. lol

Good. Thanks.