Pamac shows AUR update, but yay does not, thoughts?

Hey all,

Just a quick little update, the developer for yay got back to me and had this to say:

Github Explanation from Jguer - developer

yay -Y --gendb creates the file ~/.cache/yay/vcs.json with the latest SHA of the origin for each -git package. It gives a starting point for yay to start checking devel upgrades. At this point for yay it does think that you have the latest upstream version installed (even if you do not).

When you run yay -Syu --devel, yay checks again all of the remote SHAs against ~/.cache/yay/vcs.json and proposes the package for upgrade if they differ.

Hopefully if you use yay on a regular basis once the upstream SHA of a -git package has changed, it will be proposed by yay, you’ll install it and yay will update its entry in ~/.cache/yay/vcs.json .

It’s a matter of eventual consistency so yay -Y --gendb just tells yay to assume all those -git packages have their latest version installed.

So what does this mean exactly? Well, essentially the tl;dr is after the first time that yay -Y --gendb is run, anything after that then yay will see the git update, but since I just did it for the first time today, everything looks up to date. So essentially the next time that popsicle-git has an update, that is when yay will for sure see the update.

A little bit confusing at first to not know that, but that’s more or less how yay operates by design so I wouldn’t say this is a bug/issue. For myself I’ll just update popsicle-git through Pamac for now and the next time popsicle-git gets an update, yay should be able to see it the next time when it compares it to it’s own database. Time will tell! Hope this is helpful to y’all and hope everyone has a great weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that is what I was trying to say above.

Keep in mind, if you use something other than yay to update the development packages you will be in a mess again. You should probably consider using only one tool to update and install your AUR packages. Pick one and stick to it.

I have to pick only one?? Pamac or Tilix? Not a hard choice at all! :stuck_out_tongue:

And the winner is…

:smiley:

Gnome?
:wink: