Pacman Updates Borked Two Systems

Just coincidence about the Cinnamon issue, though everyone doing updates at the same time as the Kernel being updated does include Cinnamon.

1 Like

It is a bit hard to avoid kernel updates a the moment, time-wise. Theyā€™ve been arriving pretty quickly on the heels of the previous one lately!

2 Likes

I just got recommended a video on the 'tube saying Arch now installs LTS 5.10 by default (if you chose to use the LTS kernel, that is)ā€¦ the thing is the video was from a week and a half ago and the 5.10 LTS has not materialized yet. The latest LTS 5.4 just popped up in my updates this morning.

I assume they will have to backport a lot of stuff (including NVIDIA stuff) from 5.11 to make 5.10 a reliable LTS kernel.
(In fact, the more I hear about 5.11 the more it sounds like they just need to skip 5.10 and make 5.11 the next LTS).

1 Like

Thereā€™s a thought! They have certainly been iterating the 5.10 pretty quickly so far - just picked up 5.10.6.arch1-1

They will have ti sorted before they declare it an lts version though, and extend its 'support window.

2 Likes

5.4 was much worse at first. It was a trainwreck, had bugs with wireless drivers and other issues.

3 Likes

I remember that now when you mentioned it.

1 Like

Not that I want to jinx things, but maybe this morning is a sign of good things. Kernel update to .7, and an NVIDIA update. Installs went fine, and everything is working OK after the reboot.

2 Likes

The Xorg crash is gone with 5.10.7 but the bug with the welcome app still shows up.

1 Like

BTW very cool script, I am going to incorporate it into my monolithic systemupdate script that I use on all my machines, and add it to to my custom rescue ISO

2 Likes

If you favor stability then stick with 5.10 when it becomes the LTS kernel. For most users running the latest mainline kernel doesnā€™t have a tangible benefit.

5.10 is not as bad as 5.4 in terms of issues, and 5.10 was a much bigger update than 5.4.

4 Likes

5.10.8 is once again crashing Xorg when using NVIDIA drivers, like 5.10.6 did but not 5.10.7
It seems LTS 5.4 is the best possible kernel for NVIDIA users atm.

Did you set up your Nvidia as per the wiki with these modifications? Just asking because it didnā€™t affect mine. Are you using Cinnamon?

I use Xfce and no.
To be clear here, I only see the problem if I check logs, because Xorg restarts automatically and I never notice a problem other than the logs showing Xorg crashing and causing a core dump but then automatically restarting.

But it is not inspiring confidence in the 5.10 LTS thatā€™s coming.

Where in the logs to look as i also have an Nvidia GTX 1060 on Xfce. I want to check what you are seeing.

Are you using the proprietary Nvidia drivers? Nvidia updated at the same time as the kernel for me, and I have had no issues in Cinnamon after running for about 9 hours (with a few breaks).

journalctl -p3 -xb

I use the proprietary dkms drivers.
As far as I can TELL itā€™s NVIDIA that causes it. In any event I did not get a core dump in 5.10.7 but in both 5.10.6 and .8

1 Like

I am not using DKMS, but of course it could be the GPU. I have a GeForce 960.

Iā€™m not getting that just keyring stuff which i donā€™t care about. But i do have my Xfce set up with the modifications that i also did on Cinnamon.

[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ uname -a
Linux eos-xfce 5.10.8-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun, 17 Jan 2021 22:07:13 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ 
ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ journalctl -p3 -xb
-- Journal begins at Mon 2020-08-03 22:31:29 EDT, ends at Tue 2021-01-19 11:45:05 EST. --
Jan 19 01:45:11 eos-xfce kernel: 
Jan 19 01:45:21 eos-xfce pulseaudio[1122]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service not found.
Jan 19 10:55:34 eos-xfce xfce4-screensaver-dialog[6274]: PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so): /usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Jan 19 10:55:34 eos-xfce xfce4-screensaver-dialog[6274]: PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so
Jan 19 11:44:50 eos-xfce xfce4-screensaver-dialog[8723]: PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so): /usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Jan 19 11:44:50 eos-xfce xfce4-screensaver-dialog[8723]: PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so
[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ 

on 5.10.7 it looked more like that, but without the keyring stuff since I never installed it.

The keyring stuff i donā€™t know as itā€™s just Xfce installed without anything added that i know of for keyring except Chromium which may be why?