Pacman-gir and pacman are in conflict, routine update asks me to remove one

As of a few days ago, if I try to do a normal update, it complains about pacman and pacman-git are in conflict and asks if I want to remove one.

I’ve gone with the default answer so far (no), and the update continues normally, other than occasionally complaining about this.

I have not manually installed either of the packages, I’ve just been using whichever pacman came with EndeavourOS.

I’ve been mostly updating with the “eos-update --aur” command suggested in the welcome window, in case that is relevant.

Is there action I should take? Should I remove one of the versions?

I would keep the version from the official repos, that is, pacman.

EnOS’ installer would never install an AUR package, in this case, pacman-git.

Someone must have done it. If not you, you would need to find out who has access to your system.

2 Likes

I’m surprised you even managed to get pacman-git onto your system in the first place. I’m not sure how that’s even possible? Won’t the two packages clash if they provide the same binary executable? I mean, it would certain make sense for pacman-git to be in conflict with pacman.

2 Likes

Agreed especially since pacman is an excluded from updating in pacman.conf.

]$ grep -i hold /etc/pacman.conf 
HoldPkg     = pacman glibc dracut kernel-install-for-dracut eos-dracut
1 Like

Weird.

pacman-git appeared right after the big update to KDE 6, and I don’t think I’ve installed any AUR in the last 1-2 weeks at all. (Just some “extra” packages though pacseek.)

Is there an easy way to check what has been manually installed in the last few weeks?

Anyway, I’ll remove pacman-git next time it asks.

EDIT: I looked at the list with pacseek, and according to that list, pacman-git is not actually installed.

“sudo pacman -R pacman-git” likewise complains that the target was not found.

Here are the relevant sections from the konsole. Hopefully it’s understandable despite the language used:

Error:

==> FEHLER: Konnte nicht alle Abhängigkeiten auflösen.
→ Fehler beim Erstellen: libpamac-exit status 8
[sudo] Passwort für name:
Pakete werden geladen …
Abhängigkeiten werden aufgelöst …
Nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen wird gesucht …
:: pacman-git und pacman stehen miteinander in Konflikt. pacman entfernen? [j/N]
Fehler: Nicht auflösbare Paketkonflikte gefunden
Fehler: Vorgang konnte nicht vorbereitet werden (In Konflikt stehende Abhängigkeiten)
:: pacman-git und pacman stehen miteinander in Konflikt
→ Fehler bei der Installation: [/home/[name]/.cache/yay/pacman-git/pacman-git-6.1.0.r7.gbae9594a-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst /home/[name]/.cache/yay/pacman-git/pacman-git-debug-6.1.0.r7.gbae9594a-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst] - exit status 1
Fehler bei der Installation: [/home/[name]/.cache/yay/pacman-git/pacman-git-6.1.0.r7.gbae9594a-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst /home/[name]/.cache/yay/pacman-git/pacman-git-debug-6.1.0.r7.gbae9594a-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst /home/[name]/.cache/yay/snapd/snapd-2.61.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst] - exit status 1

Drücke ENTER um dieses Fenster zu schließen:

If I try to remove it:

$ yay -R pac
pacman pacman-contrib pacman-mirrorlist pacseek pacutils

Fehler: Ziel nicht gefunden: pacman-git

What does LANG=C pacman -Q | grep pacman show?

1 Like

It looks like pacman-git is being pulled in as a dependency, not that it is already installed.

Can you share the full output of:

LANG=C sudo pacman -Syu
LANG=C yay -Sua

Please post all the output here. If the first command fails, don’t run the second.

HoldPkg doesn’t mean it is excluded from updating.

4 Likes

You are right, don’t know why I thought that when I posted it, I think I had IgnorePkg in my head and had the mixed up.

So it is pacman-git trying to replace pacman?

Looking at this again, it is not perfectly clear which one is trying to replace the other but since pacman is mentioned the it is supposedly to replace pacman-git. Or am I seeing it wrongly?

1 Like

LANG=C pacman -Q | grep pacman
pacman 6.0.2-9
pacman-contrib 1.10.4-3
pacman-mirrorlist 20231001-1

and

Seems one of the packages wants it as a dependency.

LANG=C sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for [name]:
:: Synchronizing package databases…
endeavouros is up to date
core is up to date
extra 8,4 MiB 3,06 MiB/s 00:03 [---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade…
there is nothing to do

and

:: Searching AUR for updates…
→ Packages not in AUR: khotkeys kpeoplevcard kquickcharts5
→ Flagged Out Of Date AUR Packages: snapd-glib
:: 1 dependency will also be installed for this operation.
aur/pacman-git → 6.0.1.r152.g34611a66-1

:: 2 packages to upgrade/install.
2 aur/libpamac 11.6.3-1 → 11.6.4-1
1 aur/snapd 2.61.2-1 → 2.61.3-1
==> Packages to exclude: (eg: “1 2 3”, “1-3”, “^4” or repo name)
→ Excluding packages may cause partial upgrades and break systems

This is your issue. libpamac is currently bringing in pacman-git. Just exclude it from your updates for now. Or, if you can live without pamac you can uninstall it.

To be honest, pamac will have issues from time to time.

4 Likes

Okay. So I’ll just ignore that package for the time being. Will mark it as solved.

2 Likes

There’s something I’m still not quite clear on. If libpamac tried to pull in pacman-git during installation, why didn’t the installation fail due to a conflict? Was the conflict between pacman-git and pacman added only recently? But even that doesn’t sound right. pacman-git and pacman provide the same executables, right? Shouldn’t they be conflicting from the get-go?

It asked if it was OK to replace the pacman with pacman-git and answering “Yes” caused this issue.

They are.

Thanks for the clarification. I read the initial post again, and it turns out that I misunderstood the OP’s issue. The issue wasn’t that the OP currently have both pacman and pacman-git installed on his system but that the current update is attempting to install pacman-git.

My apologies.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.