Pacman endeavouros.db error - need to renew Korean mirror domain

I’m South Korean. Sorry for my poor English.

“sudo pacman -Syy” causes error.

when database updating, Korean mirror (funami.tech) send me HTML file instead of endeavouros.db file

and, the content of the HTML file is about the expiration of the “funami.tech” domain. (see my screen capture)

HTML
dolphin

please renew domain, so please make Korean users can use pacman update. Thank you.

1 Like

There are a few ways to resolve this. Here are two of them:

• From the welcome application, choose “Update Mirrors” to re-sort your mirrors.
  • Edit /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and remove the top mirror from the list.

Basically, your mirrorlist needs updating. Sometimes Arch mirrors stop being mirrors so it is important to occasionally update your mirrors.

Welcome to EnOS’ forum @CodePsy-2001!
Enjoy your journey onboard Endeavour!
:enos_flag:

1 Like

Welcome to :enos: forums.

Just update your mirror list. Include Germany and United States when selecting the countries which are the functioning mirrors and less troublesome.

Even though we have Korean mirrors we have no guarantee that they going to remain up all the time. Some do go offline or change. And you really can’t check if a trying to download the db file because it depends on how the mirror is configured.

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

Thanks for the report! :+1:

You could run program eos-rankmirrors to fix the list of EndeavourOS mirrors.

So is this a permanent change with funami.tech? Then we need to remove that mirror from the list.
@Alpix

3 Likes

Sorry. I don’t know about funami.tech admin. There is no way to contact the admin. As a Korean, I will post it on the forum if I find out anything. Thank you so much for your help.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @CodePsy-2001 :partying_face::tada::balloon:

1 Like

eos-rankmirrors cannot fix the list of eos-mirros. because funami.tech return lightweight 404 html file, so eos-rankmirrors measures funami.tech is the best speed mirror.

In my opinion, if mirror return the HTML file, eos-rankmirrors will need a logic to process try: exceptions.

OK. Then you can manually modify file /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist and remove the line that has the funami.tech in the address.

EDIT: I just added an option --ignore to eos-rankmirrors. With that you can exclude funami from ranking results, e.g.

eos-rankmirrors --ignore="funami"

Edit after 2 hours: I added also option --prefer to eos-rankmirrors. With it you can give a list of preferred mirror addresses. They will be added to the beginning of the EndeavourOS list of mirrors.
See eos-rankmirrors -h for more info.

8 Likes

Thx for the information, will look into that

1 Like
3 Likes

Hello, I’m the owner of that particular mirror. I paid my domain renewal fee but sadly they f***ed it up and I’m currently trying to solve the problem. Sorry for any inconvenience. @CodePsy-2001 @manuel

PS: if you need the mirror ASAP, you can access it via server.noa.codes (HTTP/rsync only, no HTTPS)

PPS: Also follow @YuiFunamiMirror at Twitter for fastest update on server status.

3 Likes

I feel for you - I run a mirror too! Luckily I self-host, so I avoid SOME of the difficulties!

2 Likes

Yeah but this kind of problem can happen to anyone - even if you selfhost. I use Oracle Cloud to cut cost.

I use an older (AMD A10 + cheap SSD) computer, so no cost as I don’t need it for anything else (and the net access is already there). The repos I run are both fairly small, so they all fit on the SSD - and the writes aren’t very high in number! So far, so good… :grin:

Oh - and the OS I use is EndeavourOS, and I run its updates about 1 week behind current (using eos-shifttime) to give me time to see if anything can be a problem. Stable as I have ever seen!

Interesting. I use A1.Flex instance with 4 cores, 24GB RAM and 4Gbps bandwidth. (DL unlimited, UL 10TB/mo. free) for free! Only cost is 100GB of extra cost on top of 200GB free storage. I would like to run my own server at home, but it would cost a lot more because internet here is limited to personal usage only - they blocked important ports for server to deter home server and buy expensive “business” internet plan. I also use Oracle Linux because they offer free premier support if you’re using it on Oracle Cloud. EOS/Arch is out of sight because it’s ARM.

1 Like

Well - I have no idea what ports they could block successfully - with IP redirect, and port assignments up to you…

However - having a powerhouse like that available is pretty cool too! What’s this about ARM? I’m all x86-64 - and the only ARM I would consider is a Raspberry Pi or two as media servers… and I haven’t talked myself into that yet as I can SSH everywhere to get at all my media with everything I own anyway :grin:

Anyway - looks like I got a bit OT again (kind of a habit, actually) so - Have a Good Day!

1 Like

If you like, you could probably temporarily get a subdomain from one of the users who already have their domain running. (I can let you use a subdomain on mine if it doesn’t require me to give you too many sensitive permissions)

I already have alternative domain, but I’m not inclined to use it.

1 Like