Packages during install

Hey once again,

I am thinking of creating a pkglist for EOS and hosting it on my Github. I want to try "eos-welcome --pkglist=URL” command. But I have a few questions.

1- How does that command work exactly ? I run it from terminal and hit install that’s it ?
2- What should name of pkglist be and what extension and can I see an example of contents ?
3- Will it install anything I find on Arch Repos ? What about AUR can I add packages from there too ?

Will this work ? I have AUR packages too can I add to it ? I Split KDE-Apps and Plasma groups so if I don’t select them in Calamares and have them in pkglist will it still work ?

Thanks again

The file is a simple text file that can have

• package names (from Arch and EndeavourOS, but not AUR)
  • empty lines
  • comment lines starting with the # character

Your file looks OK.
Just make sure none of the package names is not from AUR.
Then it should work, provided you have enough disk space for all packages. :wink:

And note that this feature (naturally) works only in the online install mode.

Edit: your URL would probably be either
https://github.com/TechXero/ArchLinux/raw/main/Configs-n-Scripts/eos-pkgs.txt
or
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TechXero/ArchLinux/main/Configs-n-Scripts/eos-pkgs.txt

I think drive space provided during install is 1.8gb if am not mistaken, my packages don’t exceed 600mb or so… None are from AUR just Arch Repos Extra/Community/Multilib etc…

Edit: your URL would probably be either
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TechXero/ArchLinux/main/Configs-n-Scripts/eos-pkgs.txt

Ok noted

How can I see what EOS repos have ?

pacman -Sl endeavouros

Note that not all of them are meant to be installed.

Note that not all of them are meant to be installed.

As if … LoL… Or I can install pamac and search EOS repos that way ?

Pamac works like with Arch packages.

Or command eos-pkginfo "name" works too…

And will splitting Plasma and KDE-Apps work if I also Uncheck the Plasma / KDE-Apps in Calamares ?

This you should ask from someone who is using Plasma… :wink:

I think he is asking if unchecking them in the installer will prevent him from manually installing them via the packagelist.

2 Likes

One thing about the list I would point out is that you are explicitly installing a lot of things that are normally dependencies of other packages. By doing it that way, you will be left with a lot of garbage as dependencies and packaging changes since the system will not view them as orphans.

3 Likes

Ok can you help me narrow list down I dunno how to tell which is which LoL… That’s the list I usually install on Vanilla Arch never had any issues… Reason being I always had missing dependencies with some apps, optional but always felt optional or not better have all of them just in case…

I think he is asking if unchecking them in the installer will prevent him from manually installing them via the packagelist.

Exactly what I want to know. I am but a humble Linux learner I love learning :smiley:

Updated user pkglist

Much Appreciated >:_:<

Packages listed in user_pkglist.txt (result of using option --pkglist) will be installed after the default packages, using the additional option --needed. So anything already installed will not be unnecessarily re-installed.