Optimus Manager issues

https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/435.17/README/primerenderoffload.html

2 Likes

Excellent guide absolutely fantastic. Lutris also makes it easy to launch feral game mode too

1 Like

So I have been using optimus for a few days now and it is working. The laptop gets pretty hot and I feel like the fan isn’t cranking up all the way.

Is there a way I can check this? Is there a way to increase the fan speed?

After a little research I found the following info. I ran a game to test it. It seems that the gpu is not even close to maximizing, but the performance is definitely sub-par.

nvidia-smi -q -d TEMPERATURE

==============NVSMI LOG==============

Timestamp                                 : Thu Aug 27 20:51:12 2020
Driver Version                            : 450.66
CUDA Version                              : 11.0

Attached GPUs                             : 1
GPU 00000000:01:00.0
    Temperature
        GPU Current Temp                  : 64 C
        GPU Shutdown Temp                 : 101 C
        GPU Slowdown Temp                 : 96 C
        GPU Max Operating Temp            : 92 C
        Memory Current Temp               : N/A
        Memory Max Operating Temp         : N/A

nvidia-smi
Thu Aug 27 20:53:09 2020       
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 450.66       Driver Version: 450.66       CUDA Version: 11.0     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GTX 960M    Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   57C    P0    N/A /  N/A |    763MiB /  4046MiB |      8%      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A      2930      G   /usr/lib/Xorg                     241MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      2986      G   /usr/bin/gnome-shell              145MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A     12519      G   ...e/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam       19MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A     12527      G   ./steamwebhelper                    1MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A     12541      G   ...ewInCrossProcessFrame --n       62MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A     92977      G   /usr/lib/firefox/firefox            1MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A     98426      G   ...oft Game Launcher\upc.exe        1MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A    100319      G   /usr/lib/firefox/firefox            3MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A    103182      G   ...sin's Creed III/AC3SP.exe      276MiB |

After resetting the computer, it seems to have booted back to the intel chip again. I feel like there is something that I am missing or something I have done wrong.

Return this command:

journalctl -p3 -xb

Let’s see if there are some errors in journal :yum:

I have never been able to get Optimus Manager to work properly myself. I still use @dglt Optimus Switch program that he wrote for MJ on an Arch install. It can be completely set up using a TTY if you can’t log in.

For Gnome:

In order to use it with EnOS, you need to install the nVidia driver using their tools. You can do this by: sudo nvidia-installer-dkms

Once you have the driver installed, you can follow the rest of the instructions as written. If you want a GUI/ Indicator for Optimus-Switch, I have written a little program. Even though it still says Manjaro in the description, It still works on Arch and EnOS. Removing the MJ reference is still on my list of things to do. You can find it here:

WARNING Make sure you uninstall Optimus Manager completely before installing Optimus-Switch.

4 Likes

Here is what I got with journalctl

-- Logs begin at Sun 2020-08-23 13:57:58 PDT, end at Fri 2020-08-28 07:51:56 PDT. --
Aug 28 07:47:49 workstation0asus kernel: DMAR: [Firmware Bug]: No firmware reserved region can cover this RMRR [0x0000000078800000-0x000000007affffff], contact BIOS vendor for fixes
Aug 28 07:47:49 workstation0asus kernel: tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI region does not cover the entire command/response buffer. [mem 0xfed40000-0xfed4087f flags 0x200] vs fed40080 f80
Aug 28 07:47:49 workstation0asus kernel: tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI region does not cover the entire command/response buffer. [mem 0xfed40000-0xfed4087f flags 0x200] vs fed40080 f80
Aug 28 07:47:52 workstation0asus systemd[975]: pam_systemd_home(systemd-user:account): Failed to query user record: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.home1.service not found.
Aug 28 07:47:55 workstation0asus bluetoothd[768]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
Aug 28 07:48:07 workstation0asus gdm-password][1289]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Aug 28 07:48:07 workstation0asus gdm-password][1289]: pam_systemd_home(gdm-password:account): Failed to query user record: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.home1.service not found.
Aug 28 07:48:07 workstation0asus systemd[1305]: pam_systemd_home(systemd-user:account): Failed to query user record: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.home1.service not found.
Aug 28 07:48:08 workstation0asus bluetoothd[768]: RFCOMM server failed for Headset Voice gateway: rfcomm_bind: Address already in use (98)
Aug 28 07:48:08 workstation0asus bluetoothd[768]: RFCOMM server failed for :1.90/Profile/HSPHSProfile/00001108-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb: rfcomm_bind: Address already in use (98)

nvidia isn’t booted yet, as it has reverted back to intel.

This is what I was using on Manjaro and it worked great for me. I think I will give this a go. What is the way to check my current drivers and kernal in Arch?

So to be clear.

uninstall optimus-manager via

optimus-manager

Then run

sudo nvidia-installer-dkms

then follow the dglt1 optimus switch guide?

1 Like

As somebody who just spent 2 hours yesterday trying to get optimus-manager working on my hybrid laptop, I might have to try this method…

1 Like

That’s best available, @dglt is a real deal!

3 Likes

@dglt helped me install this on my Manjaro install and I never had a problem with it. @linesma indicator also worked flawlessly.

One good thing about EOS is that it actually booted with the base drivers. Manjaro, at least at the time, wouldn’t. That made it much harder.

I’m pretty sure my next computer will be AMD.

2 Likes

@shockwave To uninstall a program in Arch… sudo pacman -R optimus-manager and then make sure you have the nVidia driver installed. Then you can follow the rest of @dglt’s guide.

It has worked flawlessly for me for over a year and a half now. First on Manjaro and then on Arch. I mainly keep my laptop running on the nVidia card. I think I have only switched to the Intel card one time. Since this solution will turn off the nVidia card when you are in Intel mode, your battery life will increase. Just keep in mind, that a REBOOT is required when you switch your GPU in use.

2 Likes

That’s fine, 99% of the time I only need to run the intel card anyway, My issue with optimus-manager was lack of turning off the nvidia card when the intel card was active, so…

I shall give it a shot tonight. Anyway, I shall cease threadjacking :wink:

Thank you. How can I check to make sure I have the correct nvidia driver installed. I believe I have 450 installed, but would like to check.

If the correct driver is installed, I can skip?

Yes.

Okay it looks like I have 450, so I can skip

btw, what does dkms stand for?

From Wikipedia,

Dynamic Kernel Module Support ( DKMS ) is a program/framework that enables generating Linux kernel modules whose sources generally reside outside the kernel source tree. The concept is to have DKMS modules automatically rebuilt when a new kernel is installed.[2]

2 Likes

How would I know if I have dkms or just nvidia-installer?

pacman -Q | grep nvidia