Online installer forgets wifi

Is there any reason why the installer forgets the wifi after installation?
It should be a no brainer especially If you choose online as the method of installation.

What do you mean by “forgets”?

It forgets. Once installed, you have to again enter the wifi code.

The ISO image cannot “remember” any user data, since it is read-only. It does not have any writeable storage: once you shut it down, everything you did there is lost.

The ISO image is not the same operating system as the installed one, they have different roots (that’s why you have to chroot to access the installed OS).

4 Likes

No. I can name a few distros that retain that memory.

it is possible yes but we do not like it.
copy from outside the chroot into the chroot …

4 Likes

What an answer!
Anywho, it is an answer nonetheless.

what i wanted to say is that we could try to do this, as calamares installer has an option to do such, but it will need to be maintained and will cause more work, we still have a lot on our list, and we do have concerns on security here also.

1 Like

this settings are saved in cleartext under /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/your-SSID.nmconnection

needs to put in new created username and in some configs MAC-Adress is in also, and this can be different on installed system…

[connection]
id=your-SSID
uuid=xxxx
type=wifi
interface-name=wlan0
permissions=user:username:;

[wifi]
mac-address-blacklist=
mode=infrastructure
ssid=your-SSID

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=XXXX

[ipv4]
dns-search=
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
method=auto

[proxy]

You have proven you can do it.
You can.

1 Like

everything is possible :slight_smile:
would be nice to have the option, but doing this without asking user is not 100% 95% proven to be a good choice…
voting?

1 Like

He who asks 100% is 100% stupid.

Personally, I like that I can’t make the installed OS fail because of something I altered in the live environment. The way it currently works means the installed OS should always be in a “known working” state.

3 Likes

Mum always said is stupid only the stupidity !

The more niceties that are available to the end user, the more development work is required by the EOS team to support it and maintain the code that provides those niceties. Each little change seems small and inconsequential enough, but added together they slowly become a burden. EOS is managed by a very small team borne out of the end of Antergos; which shut down because the work was too much for their team. This is fresh in their minds and they need to take this into account when making changes. On top of that, there’s other concerns (like security) that don’t make this a simple request. It’s a difficult balancing act. I hope you keep this in mind with your future replies to this topic.

5 Likes

I vote against it for security reasons, doesn’t seem like a clean solution for little one-time convenience, as @joekamprad posted…

Maybe there are more secured ones out there, but for now it just doesn’t seems right :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

The benefit from adding something like this is negligible and the possible maintenance, security implications and point of failure has to be taken into account.

I like the principle Endeavour is based - being an installer for Arch with some convenience scripts attached.

I like that Endeavour do not promote itself as the go-to Linux distribution but as a guide to your Arch Endeavour.

I like sharing my knowledge with users willing to educate themselves.

Give a man a fish - you have fed him for one day. Teach him to fish and you have fed him for life.

K.I.S.S

6 Likes

Teach a fish to learn and you have a school.

7 Likes

Leave :fish: alone!! :laughing:

Give a man a zsh…
:frog:

3 Likes

:skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes