Old issue of mounting a data disk, now can't work around

Hello, this happened sometimes already with Antergos as now with EOS. Normally one reboot would fix the situation. Now it seems to be the result of every boot. /b resides on a data disk holding music, video and documents. It has manually partitioned and configured to be mounted on every boot. Now EFI seems having hijacked the disk?!

DSC_0005

Can it be that some yesterday’s updates have caused this somehow? This happened today that I cannot work around this anymore.

Thanks!

I guess you have a reason to use systemd-fstab-generator? I’m not famililiar with that tool, so can’t much help with that. But I just read the man page, and for me it seems a bit confusing compared to writing /etc/fstab manually.

Is it possible / sensible in your case to write /etc/fstab manually instead of using systemd-fstab-generator?

You might want to check the output of

lsblk -fm

If you can’t boot normally, use the USB stick…

Thanks @manuel!

I am pretty sure I haven’t had any reason and I have not used systemd-fstab-generator at all. But I just found out the reason for the issue of getting stuck to this. There was en external hard disk attached to the USB socket. Now I can reboot again.

But still I’d like to ask why this same error appears at times although I have no other disks attached to the PC? This has been present as long as I have had Antergos and EOS. Maybe /etc/fstab configuration is somehow wrong.

With this information I guess /etc/fstab is in the center of the issue.
Care to share the file?

Ok, here it comes.

/etc/fstab: static file system information.

Use ‘blkid’ to print the universally unique identifier for a

device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices

that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).

UUID=2791-8FC0 /boot/efi vfat defaults,rw,relatime 0 0
UUID=664e383b-f057-4555-9edc-c1ef956795eb /boot ext2 defaults,rw,relatime 0 0
UUID=da7a9d4e-fd16-4ce2-97ed-fe231b9e9e05 / ext4 defaults,rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 1
UUID=cbe4a8a8-1364-48d3-83fd-8e4579b79880 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /b ext4 defaults 0 2 noauto,x-systemd.automount

/dev/sdb1 /b ext4 defaults 0 2 noauto,x-systemd.automount
you should use UUID here too!

as /dev/sdb1 can change if you plug other drives

Thanks @joekamprad! I wonder where that ending “x-systemd.automount” has come from. I will look into adding UUID, if that helps.

It refers to automounting when you plug in the disk.
But as Joe said, replacing /dev/sdb1 with the correct UUID (or the LABEL) should help.

Thanks @manuel! I just edited fstab and I’ll check what happens in the next reboot.

Thanks a lot @joekampraad and @manuel! Now I can boot reliably even if the external hard disk is attached during boot. This is great!

-vp-

2 Likes

Sorry for the typo! Of course I meant @joekamprad! Thanks a million!

-vp-

1 Like