OK someone stop me. Getting the distro hopping urges again

Cry for help? Not sure :stuck_out_tongue:
And just when I got everything settled the way I like it…

Starting to spend way too much time looking up videos about Calculate. I ran it for about 6 hours last (back in 2018, I believe), not because I didn’t like it, but I was just trying their installer (it’s kind of weird).

Edit: I probably won’t switch. It’s more that I am bored, because this works so well :wink:

i sometimes do i Desktop hopping, busy with configuring les reinstalling stuf… and for other stuf virtualbox…

distrohopping is like smoking once you have it, its dificult to stop :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For me distro hopping is no longer an actual problem. I was only on the search for an exceptional distro and i found it. It’s already clear that it is EndeavourOS. But yeah i can believe that distro hopping is an addiction.

2 Likes

i like to use google and duckduckgo, currently duckduckgo :wink: but if there is a issue i like it to fix it and find the fix. for me is dificult to give data and explaination but searching is fine

This time it actually started because I wanted to look at a non-systemd distro. Arch is fully committed, Artix is not really maintained well (very small, plus no official releases in a year. Only beta releases). Gentoo and some flavors of Debian are the main ones and Debian based distros never tempted me, really. (Tho I still recommend MX to absolutely anyone that don’t want to use a rolling release).

Artoo is a gentoo guy caming to arch first place but started on manjaro there thing, but now is doing arch + openrc thing…

but systemd versus non systemd, systemd is modern in landscape , internet is also changed in 20 years

there is a different mindset , 16gb begins become the standard and not so much you use on ram with systemd vs openrc

but its a opinion, im used to systemd so no hard feelens :slight_smile:

1 Like

distribution , is just how they are in computing, Mx is a debian niche that want to replace ubuntu as a niche… but every distro has its own thing and rolling is not for everyone depend how you are flexible with systems and terminal

In all seriousness. Personally I feel that (having been a manjaro user and former forum member for over a year) endeavorOS is what I think manjaro was like in the beginning before it went in the direction it is headed now. I feel like I missed out on that and endeavorOS has provided that opportunity again. Get in on the ground level of something that has all the things needed to make a distro and forum great. I look forward to my future here and am thankful to all the people that make endeavor what it is today.

3 Likes

i started in 2006 with ubuntu , before was dualboot or experimenting … xp sucked lot in 2012 was after ubuntu mint and lmde when i tried manjaro i tended to go back and you where in a linux group with lot hoppers pulling at you to try something else.

but in after some installations i sticked with manjaro to 2016 i jumped to antergos… for me was al ok :slight_smile: helped also lot people in Manjaro… but currently manjaro is in a possition to be possition more in the desktop os market. bad or good thats al a opionion offcourse… but currently likes to more upstream and bit more kiss like endeavouros… if you come from ubuntu or arch to manjaro you have to learn how manjaro basicly works it has also its way like arch has its way… counts with endeavour also.

2 Likes

Void Linux is non systemd

Pudge

2 Likes

This is very true. And that’s why I edited my original post. I probably won’t jump ship. Or even DE again. I really like EndeavourOS (and tend to push it quite hard when people bring up Arch-with-installer options).

…Hey, you know what, it feels like the moment has passed :slight_smile:. Like an ex smoker getting a sudden urge for a deathstick and then resisting… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It has always been interesting to me, but alas it’s name is very fitting regarding the repos… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I was seriously looking into this about 9 months ago as a base for a NAS.

I liked runit instead of systemd and I liked LibreSSL instead of openSSL.
I don’t remember why I didn’t go with it. It’s h_ll to get old.

Pudge

4 Likes

For example you forgot that “e” there. :wink:

4 Likes

Calculate is supposed to be friendly, but its installer has been very problematic for me when trying to install it. Also, you’ll soon realize you’ll miss the AUR :-).

It’s friendly for being Gentoo. Sabayon was more so, apparently but it is not active anymore i think? No update since 11 months ago.
Also, yes, I know.

2 Likes

If you want a non-systemd distro similar to Arch’s philosophy, perhaps you could look at Void, in a friendlier form presented by https://project-trident.org if you can get yourself through the not-that-friendly installer on that one.

I “distro hope” from time to time too. These last 4 days i was giving another chance to dragonfly bsd, and yesterday i started with openbsd, didn’t have time today, but i’ll play with them when i have more time.

Even if i don’t switch to another distro i usually take the oportunity to learn a lot. BSD is very different, no systemd, so even making slim and a DE to work is a chalange at first, big learning curve and brainstorming to bring improvements to EndeavourOS, Portergos or just improving the running system for more confort and convenience.

Don’t need to resist, use virtualbox.

1 Like

Endeavouros is not a distro. It is Arch Linux. Endeavouros provides a GUI installer with some extras.

1 Like

+1 for virtualbox, whenever I get urge to check something else out. EndeavourOS is and has everything I want though.

1 Like