Offline updates, seems a reasonable feature

Hi there,

for short time after the major plasma update, I had the feature offline updates in
my plasma system settings menu.

So now this has vanished again, although I consider it a very useful feature, that would
help many people struggle with updates, like people not so familiar with computers.

Did I do something wrong to my system or is it intentionally taken out by our eos devs ?
What to do to get this back ?

Thanks for your thoughts on that feature miss : - )

Did that feature actually work on Arch-based distros? I thought is was intended for KDE Neon, specifically.

yes seems to work in my ArcoLinux, and worked shortly in endeavouros. I could see in ArcoLinux how
updates are beeing applied on startup. It requires packagekit I guess. Still I have some customers they would be more easy with offline updates, since they do not need to interact. For me I have no problems
missing it.

It looks like it was removed by the Arch package maintainer:

As a side note, I would warn you that using discover to update your Arch system, online or offline is a terrible idea. packagekit(which is what discover uses to update packages) doesn’t support any type of manual intervention so you can easily end up in a situation where your system is broken after updates.

2 Likes

It’s definitely not a reasonable feature on Arch. It’s good that it got removed. Unless I’m mistaken, EndeavourOS KDE comes without Discover, anyway.

Updates on Arch require user’s input, any attempt to automatise them is bound to cause more trouble than it’s worth.

1 Like

I get that, … I wrote a script that does system update assuming a “yes” answer to update
interactions, worked out all fine. If packagekit acts the same ( ? ) would be good enough for me.
Or do you mean something else with ’ manual intervention ’ ?

Managing .pacnew files, confirming change of names for packages, installing optional dependencies, noticing warnings and errors and acting accordingly…

2 Likes

I believe it does work mostly the same, however, I will warn you that while it will likely work fine for some time, it will eventually break something.

As a person who has helped people try to recover their systems from the mess that it causes, I will warn you that it is a ticking time bomb and leave it at that.

3 Likes

**I understand, so I will keep it that way, but it would be a directive for devs if they kept the questions at update in a way that ‘yes’ brings a system forward in the most thinkable stable way, eventually could arch become an every mans os. **

But again, I understood your points., and thanks

To answer your original question, if all they did is remove the kcm, you could try enabling the option in ~/.config/discoverrc manually and see if that works.

UseOfflineUpdates=true

That being said, I still don’t recommend it. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

thanks I guess I leave arch as it is : - )

This is unlikely to happen with Arch upstream. It’s not at all a priority for Arch maintainers to make Arch an “every man’s OS”. And if it doesn’t happen upstream, it shouldn’t happen on EndeavourOS either, since EndeavourOS’ philosophy is to stay as close to Arch as possible.

I agree, no problem with that, let arch be just for computer nerds like many here in the forum, I have no problem with that, I like arch beeing bleeding edge and use it intensively , there are other distros that aim at average skill users. Happy to have EdeavourOs. Thanks for all your input…

1 Like

Arch is a “do-it-yourself” distro. EndeavourOS really just gives you an Arch installer that sets up the system in a way that 99% of Arch users would set it up anyway. But where you take it from there is entirely up to you, it is still a DIY distro. And you get this forum, which is the best thing about EndeavourOS, without doubt.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.