Offline Installer = Boots vs. Online Installer = Black Screen

I have not run into this problem before. I came from a Lenovo T580 multibooting

Windows, Mangaro, Pop, Ubuntu, EOS - Gnome, EOS - KDE, and EOS - XFCE

I bought a Dell XPS 15 and am trying to do a similar setup. The problem I am running into is I have Windows, Ubuntu 20.04, and Pop 20.04 installed, no issues, I went to install EOS - Gnome and after install, when selecting from Grub menu, just a black screen. So I tried a multitude of differing install scenarios with manual partitioning, install alongside etc…still the same. I then tried using the offline installer with XFCE and boots just fine. Weird, so I tried again the online installer with Gnome, KDE, Mate just to make sure it wasn’t a Gnome issue, and still a Black screen and no boot after Grub.

So I have googled and searched and I am at a loss as to why the offline XFCE install boots fine but any I try with online installer gets Black Screen.

Please Help.

Thank You in advance, I love this Distro and all the awesome work they do.

Black screen after boot sounds like a graphic card driver issue. T580 is an Intel card, right?

I was thinking the same thing, so I installed these without Nvidea drivers. yes the T580 I used to have was an intel card. The XPS has a 1050Ti Max Q in it, but again I did not install these with Nvidia drivers so it should just use the intel instead. Even if it was the drivers, why would the offline installer work and the online installer not? I did a full update of XFCE after the install and all is well with that install. Thats why I am scratching my head.

When it boots up and goes to a black screen are you able to go to a tty screen and log in as root?

No, I am not able to get to a tty screen.

When you use the online installer you should select Nvidia drivers when you select the desktop.

depending on what boot entry you where choosing, it will be nvidia drivers or nouveau in use… (on booting ISO)

Intel with Nvidia

The Optimus setup consists of the integrated Intel chip connected to the laptop screen and the Nvidia card runs through this. As such, the Nvidia chip cannot be used without the Intel chip (some other laptops have the option in BIOS to turn Intel off and use just Nvidia, but not this laptop).

See the nvidia-installer page set of instructions, particularly the Intel/Nvidia section which has been tested. The main thing to note is that installing both the Intel and Nvidia packages at once tends to avoid dependency issues.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_15