Nvidia Update - Black Screen of Death - Fixes Don't Work

OK, so: after updating my installation, I’m unable to start Endeavour again. The nvidia driver/utils were updated:

(515.65.01-2 -> 515.76-1)

…not that that is the reason I can’t start Endeavour, but someone had suggested I update the nvidia driver, and that didn’t fix the issue.

Here’s the pastebin of /var/log/pacman.log:

https://clbin.com/TCgih

Thanks!
Bryan

It seems to me if you updated to nvidia 515.76 and now it doesn’t work then you need to stay with 515.65. There is a issue that some of us are having with the current driver (515.76). Downgrade like Jonathan said and then you will be able to boot.

So the question is: what’s the easiest way to downgrade?

Can you please change the headline to this thread by taking out the word GRUB. Possibly interchange it with NVIDIA or NOVIDIA.

Thank you.

So I managed to boot into Endeavour by using a workaround in the bug report linked above (FS#75995). Before booting into Endeavour, I unplugged my HDMI cable. After a few seconds, I plugged it back in and switched to TTY2 (TTY1 was stuck, which is the issue). I then restarted my display manager service and then, voila-- I was in.

Of course, I’ll now proceed to downgrade, since this is a ludicrous workaround. :slight_smile:

FYI Nvidia engineers are working on the issue…

Bryan

So does this mean you have your monitor hooked to HDMI? I wonder if it’s hooked to a different port it works if you have it such as Displayport or Dvi? :thinking:

I believe someone did say they had a display port available and that fixed the issue…go figure :grinning:

I think it is just related to HDMI maybe?

I apologize I didn’t get back to you last night. But yes this is an HDMI issue or at least it seems that way. I haven’t tried displayport yet but I see people having success using it.

Can you try booting with HDMI cable unplugged, wait until login screen loads and then plug in HDMI cable?

Use app downgrade.
First you should check which nvidia package have version 515.76-1.

The following command should do the downgrade:

sudo downgrade $(pacman -Qs nvidia | grep /nvidia | grep 515\.76-1 | sed -E 's|^local/([^ ]+).*|\1|')

but note that I didn’t test it fully. So use it at your own risk. :sweat_smile:

It also asks if you want to add IgnorePkg to file /etc/pacman.conf, which means pacman will not upgrade it with other updates, but just warns about not updating it.

Or you can use the --ignore option in pacman, e.g.

sudo pacman -Syu --ignore nvidia-dkms,nvidia-utils

Hey, thanks for hanging in there with me on this, everyone-- I really appreciate it!

Bryan

1 Like

sudo downgrade nvidia-utils nvidia-dkms lib32-nvidia-utils libxnvctrl

Tested and it works on my side.

Link to the same issue