NVIDIA support for Sway Wayland is coming

Just like that !

It also happened to me in Fedora 35, I had to remove Wayland to get it to more or less work … that’s what happened to me with Wayland …

1 Like

It’s like having a Motorcycle with a new type of transmission but the gears don’t work. :wink:

1 Like

I’m running sway for like a year now on my AMD setup and it’s working without any problems (at least for me). Games and all my programs work without any problems in the last months. Okay, to be fair games run through XWayland. But it’s still working incredibly good.

Wayland on KDE or with an NVidia GPU is another story, though.

1 Like

In my experience Wayland (at least the last year-ish and on non Nvidia devices) runs pretty smooth as long as you run in a Wayland native environment (e.g. with Sway). Trouble comes once you start running non-native applications… That’s when s*** really hits the fan and it becomes a horrible experience where stuff breaks non-stop (looking at you Zoom :rage:) and feels really unfinished.

In contrast my X11 experience also hasn’t been smooth sailing, but that might be because most of my devices have hiDPI displays with touch displays connected to non-hiDPI external monitors… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

One of the biggest issues for me when I tried it was constant random crashing. And when one app would crash the entire thing would reset killing all open apps. It was super frustrating

Apart from the issues with NoVidya, there are even bigger problems with Wayland. It can’t even run xeyes. Definitely not ready!

My experience with this has been quite decent, after a bit of manual configuration essentially everything worked as it should on 495. No flickering either. What eventually made me drop Sway was the lack of gamma control with Nvidia’s drivers. It’s a small thing, but something like redshift is essential for long hours in front of the screen. It was unbearable without it.

The complete lack of interest from Nvidia reps in the support thread at their forum is baffling. Hundreds of competent users troubleshooting, experimenting and reporting their findings to make it work, but not as much as a word from Nvidia themselves.

If there were AMD cards available for a reasonable price I would replace the 1080 I have in an instant.

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/swaywm/comments/s5b3y1/statistics_of_sway_use_in_archlinux/