Nvidia-dkms: blank screen no login

and a good one is also set pictures smaller :wink:
2022-06-26_11-44
its on the right preview of the posts …

1 Like

it will update the same way as dkms would do only that the modules are prebuilded for the main kernel only… so other kernel like LTS will need nvidia-lts to be installed to make use of nvidia driver…
That this one is working shows and validate that there is something going wrong with dkms on your install. It can not rebuild the modules and the one builder seems to be corrupted or non working.

Yeah, I know the options :blush:
Thanks for the reminder anyways :slightly_smiling_face:

So, the only reasonable choice I have is to re-install, if I would like nvidia-dkms to work?

nah its all files :wink:

you can try removing the dkms directory for nvidia:
/var/lib/dkms/nvidia
and try creating the modules again with the nvidia-dkms package now we know that it is not a driver issue and is only caused by non working dkms actions/process,

if you do:
ls /var/lib/dkms/nvidia you will see all the modules … i am not sure there is a command to clean ?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support#Remove_modules

all the default dkms commands do not work for me in any way they error with giving files not found… could be archwiki is outdated?

would be interesting to see your output of:
ls /var/lib/dkms/nvidia

As uninstalling the nvidia-dkms package should remove the latest modules and path…

1 Like

the only subdir that existed is 515.48.07 which happens to be the same version number as for pure nvidia.

just being brave and sudo rm -rf 515.48.07/ and yay -S nvidia-dkms followed by sudo mkinitcpio -P and the blank screen is gone! (nvidia was removed beforehand)

The persitance of all who helped saved me a lot of time to re-install EOS. Thank you!

3 Likes

@ng0177 nice to see that your issue is solved. Please mark @joekamprad’s post as the solution as that solved your issue and would help future users having the same problem
:enos_flag:

The catch is to use sudo rm -rf plus my post summarizes the procedure. If you insist, I can mark his as solution.

Nevermind then. Whatever helps other users.

2 Likes

yes your post is including the solution.
Seems something was going wrong on the creation the first time which causes dkms to be unable to remove the path… and seems also removing package was not removing it.

1 Like

Right. dkms remove failed due to some missing configuration file.

yes but i had the same error on try to use dkms command directly… with nvidia-470xx -dkms and no issue to use the modules…
But uninstalling the package was successfully removing modules and path for me… what does not happen in your case…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.