Nvidia-dkms 460.67-1

Todays update for nvidia-dkms 460.67-1 pooched my boot up again! Nothing but flashing cursor! :rage:

Edit: Nvidia Why? Why why why? I never have this problem with AMD. :laughing:

$ pacman -Q nvidia-dkms 
nvidia-dkms 460.67-1

You seem to have bad luck …

Note that I’m using the testing repos, if that means anything to this.

I am considering using this as a desktop on my Nvidia machine:

Warning, slightly NSFW

Linus-Torvalds-Linux-Nvidia-middle-finger-1380653

4 Likes

Why, that is already on my desktop! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes i seem to have bad luck and i have everything set up the way it’s supposed to be but still i get the problem not always but sometimes. :tired_face:

Edit: I guess i will try reinstalling like last time. :wink:

1 Like

If you mean reinstalling the system, before doing that, try to reinstall kernels and headers. Or did you mean that?

1 Like

That’s what i meant but i was almost at the point of reinstalling again because I’m so super annoyed at this Nvidia problem. I even have @2000 btrfs on luks with timeshift and snapshots. So i went back and restored to a previous snapshot 3x and each time it failed to work after updating nvidia and it screws up the snapshots after and you can’t boot into them after. I ended up going back again to the end of January. Again i only have so many snapshots to play with. The problem is i only have wifi and get no internet with just the tty. So i guess i could have arch-chroot on the live usb to get wifi and reinstall the drivers etc. So annoying… because other than that i have to disconnect everything and take it downstairs to hook it back up to where i have Ethernet. So now i finally got it to install correctly. I’m just glad i don’t have a Hybrid system because this annoys me a lot. It should not be happening. :pouting_cat:

[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ pacman -Q nvidia-dkms 
nvidia-dkms 460.67-1
[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ 
1 Like

That is a very strange problem.

The only potential reason I can think of now is your configured Arch mirrors somehow being out of sync. Could that be possible?

1 Like

That’s what I’m thinking also because it has happened a couple of times. Both times i noticed Nvidia settings seemed to come later after the new driver was already here i think but, I’m not positive that’s what i saw or happened.

1 Like

Do you have a service that periodically and automatically ranks mirrors? Reflector service? Are you using it?

1 Like

I thought it was automatically doing it?

Edit: Both reflector and reflector simple are installed.

1 Like

But the reflector’s systemd service?

1 Like

Do i need both or just reflector now? Seems to me i set these up before?

If you feel comfortable using reflector, then you don’t necessarily need reflector-simple.
Reflector-simple is simply a GUI wrapper around reflector (and lacking some features of reflector, e.g. systemd service support).

1 Like

I guess i need to check if it’s working.

1 Like
systemctl status reflector.timer

(I hope you are not using reflector-auto…)

1 Like

Is this the right one? It’s not running?

[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ systemctl status reflector.timer

● reflector.timer - Refresh Pacman mirrorlist weekly with Reflector.
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/reflector.timer; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
    Trigger: n/a
   Triggers: ● reflector.service
[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ 
1 Like

Not running, so that excludes it as a reason…

1 Like

Oh i just activated it? Not supposed to?

1 Like

That depends on what kind of mirrors you have.

If they usually are stable, then ranking is not needed very often, and when you rank, do it manually and see if there are real permanent changes.

But if mirrors often change (have many temporary offline moments or go permanently down), then more frequent ranking may be useful.

Edit: If the nvidia issue is some kind of mirror issue (which is not clear yet), changing to more stable mirrors should help. So it is worth checking that the mirrors would work well.

1 Like