Nvidia 525.85.05-1 update problem

I managed to get it to work by first installing the nvidia-hook from eos AUR and then updating! When looking at the arch wiki it seems like you have to update initramfs (which I did not know about) after each nvidia update, which this hook probably does for you.

“To avoid the possibility of forgetting to update initramfs after an NVIDIA driver upgrade, you may want to use a pacman hook

I guess I should probably read more thoroughly through the wiki next time… and read up on dracut and initramfs

When I installed I now got a list of dracut outputs after the installation and when I rebooted it worked. Hopefully you have the same problem and it works for you too

~ ❯ pacman -Qe | grep nvidia
lib32-nvidia-utils 525.85.05-1
nvidia-dkms 525.85.05-1
nvidia-hook 1.2-1
nvidia-settings 525.85.05-1
nvidia-utils 525.85.05-1
1 Like

So----Yes----nvidia-hooks was NOT installed…I don’t know how it got missed, but that was the problem. I guess a “sticky” could be put up for those of us who either didn’t get the message or “forgot” about it…

Maybe check for nvidia-hooks during an install & prompt to have it installed or remind that the initramfs needs updating afterwards…

@ExDebianuser - That is interesting, I converted to dracut and I don’t have that package installed (but I had to exclude the nVidia drivers from being included). I thought the dkms package rebuilt the initcpio? Anyway glad you are sorted!

Yes—I doesn’t know why it waiting until now to show up…I guess I had been doing kernel updates right about the same time as nvidia… :upside_down_face:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.