Ntfs problem is not a problem?

I connected my external drive which is ntfs file system and i see the error in thunar described here: Cannot mount my ntfs USB harddrive ie wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

They suggest downgrading some packages. But after checking ntfs-3g is installed i just did mount -t ntfs as suggested here: How to mount partition with ntfs file system and read write access and it worked no problem at all

It’s a recent EOS thread (above) so i’m a bit surprised that it worked. Maybe it’s because i’m using xfce and they are using a different DE? Maybe i should just be happy that it worked and forget it?

From the link did you try using ntfsfix making sure that you use the correct path to your drive. ntfsfix is a package that needs to be installed first.

Example:

sudo ntfsfix -d /dev/sdb1
1 Like

i was too nervous to use ntfsfix, ie the word “fix” troubles me because there is nothing to fix and there’s a lot of important data on the drive. i saw someone on another forum say after using it they had two unexplained folders on the drive. Incidentally, based on this i wonder if i should edit /etc/fstab to make it permanent. Seems unnecessary if i can quickly use mount?

It won’t hurt to try it editing the fstab to see if it works. That is just going to auto mount on boot. Whether it can read the drive or not boils down to with the issue of whether it has the permissions first of all and whether the drive has an error. There was some issue related to udisks package that i saw some users using ntfsfix. Also is this a dual boot with Windows? If so it could be the hiberfile causing it if the drive was hooked to Windows.

1 Like