Not booting from USB drive with stable ISO loaded

Well now, that’s interesting - result was:

RTNETLINK answers: No such device.

Probably no driver… but need to know the chip. What laptop is it and model. Sometimes it names wifi wrong too.

@Technomancer You could run the following.

lspci -k

lspci | grep -i wireless
If you do think it’s Intel then run:

lspci | grep -i intel

If you get an output like this example.
0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5300 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection

Then take the first bit of info like this (0c:00.0) that you see and put it at the end in this command.
Example:
lspci -vv -s 0c:00.0

Just trying to identify your wifi chip so you can see if driver is installed.

[j@ssh ~]$ sudo lspci -vv -s 00:0c.0
00:0c.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 31dc (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 0034
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 44
	Region 0: Memory at a1110000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
		Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
	Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
		Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
	Capabilities: [40] Express (v2) Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
		DevCap:	MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0
			ExtTag- RBE-
		DevCtl:	CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq-
			RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr+ NoSnoop+
			MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
		DevSta:	CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq- AuxPwr+ TransPend-
		DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range B, TimeoutDis+, LTR+, OBFF Via WAKE#
			 AtomicOpsCap: 32bit- 64bit- 128bitCAS-
		DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 16ms to 55ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR+, OBFF Disabled
			 AtomicOpsCtl: ReqEn-
	Capabilities: [80] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=16 Masked-
		Vector table: BAR=0 offset=00002000
		PBA: BAR=0 offset=00003000
	Capabilities: [100 v0] Null
	Capabilities: [14c v1] Latency Tolerance Reporting
		Max snoop latency: 0ns
		Max no snoop latency: 0ns
	Capabilities: [164 v1] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0010 Rev=0 Len=014 <?>
	Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
	Kernel modules: iwlwifi, wl

Okay, so now i see this is using the intel iwlwifi. I went through this once before on Antergos with someone. Now i gotta think? The module is loaded …so? Let me look at some stuff unless someone else has an answer first.

Can you try the command ip link and get the name. Then try ip link set wlp0s12f0 up if i have the right name? Or what ever it is. If that doesn’t work then run.
sudo modprobe iwlwifi

check other things

dmesg | grep firmware

also run

dmesg | grep iwlwifi

The iwlwifi is in the AUR so see if that is what is loaded and here is a link to the latest firmware.

The latest firmware is here: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/linux-firmware.git/

Here is the Arch wiki with all the info.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration

The iwlwifi is flagged out of date in Arch so i gave you the link for the firmware as it may be newer.

So, um, anything I should know about installing a firmware package from a tarball? Never tried that before, and I have a little bit of experience with tar, but not enough to know exactly what I’m doing here.

Have you tried the modprobe command? or anything else? I don’t want to give you the wrong instructions so i’ll let you research it and figure out if you need to do that. I think it’s just a matter of replacing the existing firmware and then loading it. These iwlwifi seem to be a problem but the other one that i helped get working we tried new firmware but it ended up being the vpn they were using. Once it was uninstalled it worked and then reinstalled the vpn software.

Yeah, I tried the modprobe command - no luck. Also, dmesg seems to indicate it loads the current firmware without any obvious issues. Tried wifi-menu, last 3 lines were:

wlp0s12f0: Failed to initialize driver interface
failed
No networks found

Managed to get the tar.gz into my home directory so far.

It could be that the wlp0s12f0 is wrong. Or try rfkill unblock wifi

Try removing the module and then running it again. I think it’s modprobe -r (module name)

to load it

modprobe (module name)

Earlier I checked rfkill and there’s neither a hard or soft block on any of the interfaces.

ip link set interface up doesn’t do anything?

Sadly not. Again, I appreciate all your help, but I think I’m going to set EOS aside for now and play with Anarchy Linux instead at least until the next EOS release. Might try again then.

Ya i think you would need to open a new thread with a new topic about iwlwifi. This is getting way too long.