Not able to move/delete files from HDD

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
# be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
# disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=a4f552a4-21c8-4da3-932a-f72d289bfde6 /              ext4    defaults,noatime 0 1
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

As expected.

You need to modify fstab in order to mount the ntfs volume you want to acess properly at startup, in case you want it permanently.
Or, in case you just want to perform a single copy job use a root session, mount the volume manually to copy files and you are done.

NAME  FSTYPE FSVER LABEL      UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
sda1  ext4   1.0              a86c5980-4773-4932-90ef-ad0a97610e83                
└─sda                                                                             
sda2  ntfs         New Volume A666415466412681                                    
└─sda                                                                             
sda3                                                                              
└─sda                                                                             
sda5  ntfs         New Volume C870D83A70D830C4                                    
└─sda                                                                             
sda6  ntfs         New Volume 6850515F50513552                                    
└─sda                                                                             
sdb1  ext4   1.0              a4f552a4-21c8-4da3-932a-f72d289bfde6     86G    16% /
└─sdb                                                                             
sdb2  ntfs                    3066036966032F62                                    
└─sdb                                                                             
sdc                                                                               
sdd
1 Like

What is the process to do modification ?

Windows leaves usually a hiberfil.sys on the NTFS partitions.

Not sure if this is the case here but if it is then the Linux system will see it as if the disk is in a state of some sort of “hibernation” and therefore mounts it as read-only for not causing any data loss.

Might be worth a consideration.

Is there any way to solve this issue ?

Also, I want to mention that whenever I boot the device, I always need to authenticate the HDD in order to view its content.

If you have access to a Windows machine you can do it from there. Search the www for how to delete/remove hiberfil.sys.

There is a command line from Linux as well but I don’t remember it right now. I recall though that it was kind of hit and miss.

That is normal unless you mount those partition via /etc/fstab with appropriate mount options.

You mean when you click on the drive icons in your file manager, right? That’s because these are not mounted by fstab and they get mounted when you click on the icons. For that operation to complete it needs sudo access.

You can unmount the drives by right-clicking on them.

After that, if you just want to copy the files you can follow the below steps.

• Make directory mkdir ntfs_mount (use whatever name you want).
  • Run the mount command. sudo mount /dev/sda(partition number) ntfs_mount/
  • Once mounted you can see the files in the folder ntfs_mount.
  • You shud be able to copy the files now.
  • Now try to copy or move or whatever.

chown and chmod will have no bearing on an NTFS partiton :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh yeah forgot. I drifted off into ext4 land. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If I follow the aforementioned procedure, and delete the hibernation file, then will my issue be solved ?

I don’t only want to copy the files, rather I want to use it as storage options for viewing later.
If lots of files are stored there, then I should be able to delete them.
Also, I want to use it as directory for SageMath as well.

There is one more thing; in system settings of KDE, I tried to switch the account type into standard from admin, but the process was not able to execute.

Then you need to perma mount the using fstab. The below articles would help you on how to get it done.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fstab

If you don’t you won’t be able to mount them read-write.
That is if there is a hiberfil.sys present on the partition.

That want work. Your normal account does belong to a similar group in sudores if you want invoke admin rights or root privileges you need to use sudo or su.

Thank You​:pray: sir.

I will go through the documentation provided by you. If I face any difficulties, then can I consult with forum ?

Yes of course, We’re a happy bunch always willing to help out.

I was not able to understand this concept.

Which concept?

That want work. Your normal account does belong to a similar group in sudores if you want invoke admin rights or root privileges you need to use sudo or su.