Let’s get mad! :alien:

For those who like to code / create here’s source code for engine above:

6 Likes

A NonEuclidean rendering engine for Windows

:frog:

2 Likes

Wine…We drink :wine_glass: here :laughing:
It works on Wine :slight_smile:

Also there were some efforts here https://github.com/HackerPoet/NonEuclidean/issues/1
And even WebGL port efforts here https://github.com/HackerPoet/NonEuclidean/issues/2

1 Like

I am the guy who nuked windows on the third day .

So No :wine_glass:

:monkey:

1 Like

Hey, but Wine is FOSS just like this code…
:see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

I am a minimalist and wine is not in the list :hugs:

I will only use wine if I can emulate an android emulator in it for using whatsapp :rofl:
Need a powerful machine though . And I have to study Euclidean Geometry first .

I am Born Lazy :partying_face:

Will try this out sometimes later
1 Like

I like to see a faithful implementation of Lorentz-Minkowski metric (complete with Doppler shift) for small values of c.

There have been attempts at that, but they are far from perfect:

2 Likes

That’s pretty deep! :exploding_head:

Visually sometimes reminds me of some experiments my friend made with shaders in VR…
Trippy :frog:

1 Like

Here is a full playthrough of it: A Slower Speed of Light - Playthrough - YouTube

After all the orbs are collected, the Doppler shift (the funky colours) is disabled, but the effects of space contraction and time dilation are retained, so you can see how non-Euclidean the world actually is, with c lowered a bit.

Still, I don’t think it is entirely accurate, but it’s an excellent attempt.

And, of course, this is just Special Relativity, all effects of gravity are ignored.

2 Likes

Indeed, well we should ask some psychonauts :laughing:

I assume faithful recreation can be only achieved with full scene ray-tracing / path-tracing, because there you can control c and it’s behavior fully

This looks like convincing shader emulation :slight_smile:
Have they released source code already?

1 Like

Well, yes, if you want realistic reflections, shadows, diffusion, etc… But that’s true for any faithful visual simulation, Euclidean or non-Euclidean.

Personally, I’d love to see realistic relativistic refraction, complete with Chereknov radiation and everything.

But the ordinary stuff can be achieved with just matrix multiplication and polygons, just like in any old Euclidean game engine. The obvious difference is that c enters into your translation and rotation matrices.

2 Likes

That VR friend of mine told me he have experimented with simulation of “unusual for human” states, by making eyes like it’s some obscure animals eyesight like spider or chameleon…

He said worst effect was simulation of ability to extract your own eyes from head and manipulate them independently - no one could orient in that kind of world longer then few seconds :upside_down_face:

Ok i can’t imagine that apart from word refraction :laughing:
Is this only theoretical?

2 Likes

Looks good to me:

Refraction is when you have light going through a transparent medium, like glass or water. There the speed of light slows down, and if you get electrically charged objects moving faster than the speed of light, they emit radiation, like an optical version of a sonic boom. This radiation is called the Cherenkov radiation, and you can see it as a blue glow of nuclear reactors that are submerged in water:

5 Likes

Wow…That’s beautiful
It’s pity that we humans not very big fans of radiation :frowning:

2 Likes

Reminded me of this nifty game.

3 Likes

Well i know what i’m gonna play next now! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Does anyone remember Pyjamarama on the Spectrum?

I remember it had some weird room physics that used to fry our minds :smoking: