No Wake up after longer suspension

Hi All,
sorry to bother you again with a new question…
Today I got a new laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T14 16/512 GB, AMD Ryzen 5 4650). I got it without an OS, so I installed Endeavour right away. It worked way better than i would have thought.
However, there is one thing that does not work: The Laptop does not wake up after a longer hibernation.

After Super+L it comes back immediately. Same after closing the lid and opening it again after a few minutes. But after say 2 - 3 hours the screen is just dark. Changing the keyboard light (with Fn + Space) works, so it is kind of awake, the screen stays dark. Only Chance is to reboot the hole machine.
I run a fully up-to-date Endeavour with Gnome 3.36.5.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much,
Niels

edit: I just updated the kernel to version 5.8.5. If that alone changed anything for the better I will know tomorrow morning :wink:

2 Likes

Couple of things to try come to mind:

• Does chaning (increasing) the screen brightness have any effect?
  • Can you switch to another tty (and back again)?
  • Does closing the lid and opening it again have any effect?
1 Like

I’m afraid I can’t provide a solution at this point but it might be helpful to clarify some things.

You seem to have a problem with suspending (to RAM) and not hibernation.
If you hibernate the system writes its state to swap and powers off. On reboot the stored state gets copied back to RAM and you’ll have the system set up just like before shutting down. Hibernation doesn’t require a constant power source but needs a full reboot.
Suspension on the other hand doesn’t fully power off the machine. The RAM’s state is kept active. This requires a constant power source. You don’t need to go through a whole boot sequence - it’s reactivated much faster.

Quick things you could try:

• You seem to be running Gnome; I suppose you’re also using GDM (Gnome display manager). You could try switching to lightdm.
  • Try a diffent kernel, e. g. linux-lts
  • Check the journal for hints. Limit the output to shortly before and after the suspension; e. g. journalctl --since "2020-08-29 13:11:00 --until "2020-08-29 15:03:30"
1 Like

Hi an thanks a lot.
The screen brightness was set to between 80 and 100%
Switch tty? I should have posted in the newbies corner :wink: how do I do that?
I could not see a difference between closing the lid and sending the laptop to sleep after Super+L and leave for some time

That’s right, I ran gdm until a few minutes ago. With light dm i always get the error message that the screen cannot be locked. Even if I close the lid, the screen will not lock. I had that issue before, only with Gnome, also an plain arch and also on other machines (Dell XPS 15) that I just replaced.

Isn’t that an older kernel? I was afraid that an older kernel might have problems with this relatively new processor?

Will try, but I am not quite sure to see anything that could help ME out. As mentioned before, I should have posted in the newbie corner

Are you having problems with suspend or hibernation? Try this kernel parameter amd_iommu=off

2 Likes

OK, i promise to post in the Newbie corner next time.
language issue? What I meant was: I close the lid for an hour or two or over night come back to the machine and want to wake it up again. Is that suspend rather than hibernate?

slightly embarrassed to ask: where and how do I change kernel parameters?

You can use nano or leafpad to edit a configuration file.
Edit your default grub file and then update grub. If this doesn’t work it can be removed and update grub again.

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Add amd_iommu=off in this line right after “quiet”

Example:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet acpi=noirq resume=/dev/nvme0n1p2 loglevel=3 resume_offset=1723101 nowatchdog”

Then update grub.

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
1 Like

Don’t be embarrassed and i wouldn’t worry about posting in Newbie as you already have posted it here. It’s not a problem.

Edit:
I think what you need to do is attack one problem at a time. Does hibernation work? if so then it’s suspend mode or it could be that the AMD GPU is not reactivating from sleep? Hence the black screen. So this will take some effort on your part to post logs of dmesg and or journalctl? or others. Also it will mean trying different kernel parameters or different configurations of certain files. Cross one bridge at a time. This is what helps you learn about Arch. There are people here that can help when you need it.

You press ctrl+alt+f2 to switch to tty2 for example and
ctrl+alt+f1 to switch back to the graphical environment.
There are multiple tty’s, you can try from ctrl+alt+f1 all the way up to ctrl+alt+f7 .

4 Likes

I just wanted an OS that works :wink:
Learning a lot about the system is awesome for sure.
But making an OS work is not “my” work :wink:
I need the laptop for certain purposes, and that’s wehere my work begins.
That does of course NOT mean, that I am not grateful for your support, absolutely not.

I just rebooted the laptop with the power button. And it did not reboot, it gave me an error message:

[FAILED] Failed to start Load/Save #ness of backlight: acpi_video0.

Has anybody got an idea what that might mean?

best,
Niels

What does this show. Post the output.

systemctl status systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service

will do, now reinstalling the system after it completely crashed and hung up during boot a couple of tries
will install the KDE version. I could live with that

Oh no…
Anyway you can check that and see if it reports that it’s active. You could try this if it is. Add the following kernel parameter also to

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Add

acpi_backlight=vendor

Example:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_backlight=vendor"

Then update grub again

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Edit: I’m not sure if this is the problem or not. You can see if you get that message again as i’m not sure exactly what’s happening. Are you Installing Gnome? I don’t have a lot of experience with the Gnome desktop as much as Xfce, Cinnamon and a bit of Plasma. So if it’s something related to the desktop then we will see.

● systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service - Load/Save Screen Backli>
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-backlight@.service; st>
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2020-08-29 19:11:05 CEST;>
       Docs: man:systemd-backlight@.service(8)
    Process: 1266 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-backlight load backlig>
   Main PID: 1266 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 29 19:11:05 archPC systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save Screen Backlight Brig>
Aug 29 19:11:05 archPC systemd-backlight[1266]: Failed to get backlight or >
Aug 29 19:11:05 archPC systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.>
Aug 29 19:11:05 archPC systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.>
Aug 29 19:11:05 archPC systemd[1]: Failed to start Load/Save Screen Backlig>

Did you open the terminal full screen as it’s missing information. You can run the command again in full screen and then edit the last post and re-post it over the same spot.

@NielsKiel
My other question is when is this happening? Just on boot up or when you try to come out of hibernation or suspend? This all makes a difference.

When does what happen?
When I boot the laptop it all works fine. When I then shutdown the computer an reboot it, it all works perfectly well.
When I click suspend or close the lid and try to wake it up after an hour or two the screen stays black although the computer is „awake“. I can hear the fan and change the brightness of the keyboard

● systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service - Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video0
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-backlight@.service; static)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2020-08-29 19:11:05 CEST; 30min ago
       Docs: man:systemd-backlight@.service(8)
    Process: 1266 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-backlight load backlight:acpi_video0 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Main PID: 1266 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 29 19:11:05 archPC systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video0...
Aug 29 19:11:05 archPC systemd-backlight[1266]: Failed to get backlight or LED device 'backlight:acpi_video0': No such device
Aug 29 19:11:05 archPC systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 29 19:11:05 archPC systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 29 19:11:05 archPC systemd[1]: Failed to start Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video0.

Did you check the settings in power management for closing lid and suspend, hibernate. Make sure that on suspend or close lid it’s not locking the screen.

Edit:

Try the kernel parameter acpi_backlight=vendor i mentioned above and see if it does anything.

1 Like