No sound after last update

Since the last update (Kernel 5.9.11-arch2-1) (after reboot) I have no sound anymore. The sound icon in the notification area is crossed out. Everything is correct in the audio settings of Pulsaudio. Driver broken? I booted Kernel 5.4 - same result + network broken.

If not a kernel issue, I would look at what else got updated during the last update.

Where do I see that?

In /var/log/pacman.log
Or in terminal: cat /var/log/pacman.log

1 Like

@anon59358842

take look at this

@joekamprad is :star: as this help me two time :+1: It might help you

4 Likes

The problem seems to have been solved. I installed the Xfce variant again this afternoon, because I just had time and desire and KDE pissed me off again (after I tried the EnOS Live session to see if the sound is OK). I know, a reinstall is not the solution, but the sound problem today was the push I used to get back to Xfce. Yes, I had finished with Xfce - but somehow I always end up back there …

Thanks for your help @pebcak and @Shjim for the link to Joe’s contribution!

2 Likes

Strange as i am on KDE and i have no issue with sound. Just updated again today with plasma updates and no issues. Running 5.9.11-arch2-1 kernel.

No problems here.

BTW, I use KDE :frog:

I’m 99.9% certain this issue is not related to KDE.

4 Likes

Something to consider, no matter the DE, you should always try to have at least one extra kernel installed (I use the LTS almost always, but I have the latest also). This can help diagnose problems with updates sometimes. It’s REALLY common on the latest kernel to lose some feature, and then get it back a day or two later when it updates again.

You can install bonus kernels just in terminal, or use a fancy little program (akm for instance) so that way you can help diagnose issues. Note: if you add a kernel via pacman, just be sure to update grub otherwise you won’t actually get the option to give it a go on the next reboot.

1 Like

@Kresimir

it ok… no one perfect :wink: :rofl:

3 Likes

I agree and i only use current kernel. I’m not a big believer in installing an lts kernel to fix a problem. I would rather downgrade it and wait. :grinning:

Depends on hardware. I also use the mainline Arch kernel whenever possible, but older hardware often works better on lts, or on even older lts. I have a laptop that works the best on 4.19.

1 Like

My hardware is Rolling! :rofl:

The sound problem must have had nothing to do with KDE. I had been thinking about going back to GNOME or Xfce for a few days, as I haven’t been able to get quite warm with KDE for years. But GNOME was too minimalistic for me. This annoyance with the broken sound was just a nudge. I wanted to know if the problem would occur again after installing another DE online and all the latest updates. Well, we’ll see, I’m still too much affected by DE-hopping.

I have three desktops installed in case i get the urge. Triple boot xfce,cinnamon & kde on BTRFS with timeshift and snapshots. Cinnamon is encrypted, xfce & kde are not. Running rEFInd also and everything stays separate including the grub bootloader.

It’s about time that I decide after more than 5 years …

I know it’s hard. I like a lot of desktops but these three are my favorites.

1 Like

are you really so sure about that? :wink:

nevermind, i should not reply when half asleep… sorry about that, surely you are 100% right. haha

after all, pulseaudio has recently been updated to version 14 and at that time I had problems with the sound as well.

ok, ihave to admit, it wasn’t that drastic for me and fortunately the problem has been solved automatically with a following update…

@anon59358842: gib dem ganzen einfach beim nächsten mal nen bisserl zeit :wink:

p.s.: how to cross out text btw?

<strike>text</strike>

text

4 Likes

Even simpler:

[s]text[/s]

text

6 Likes