No more beeping when shutting down

I don’t know how many of you noticed. There was a topic about this last year. In the past few days, I was pleased to notice that there is no annoying beeping sound when shutting down. I think it was caused by some systemd update.

1 Like

pcspeaker?

modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PC_speaker#Disabling_the_PC_speaker

The point OP tried to make is that now there is no more need to blacklist the speaker. The beeping seems to be gone on its own, huzzah! :partying_face:

Not that I noticed it… :frog:

1 Like

most modern systems do not have these anymore luckily manufacturers save at every nook and corner :wink:
2022-10-22_09-18

I don’t know, but I certainly didn’t touch it and I didn’t disable pcspeaker. In any case, there is no more beeping now.

1 Like

I have a Lenovo thinkstation p310 desktop computer, it also has a speaker. By the way, because I like music, I use external speakers.

Then you didn’t notice this?

No, but that’s probably due to my poor observation… I did notice the beep once or twice a few months ago (was it a year, already?!), on rebooting or shutting down. I didn’t think much of it. I remember the thread about the beep more than the beep itself. I haven’t blacklisted my speaker because that would require effort, and I wasn’t really bothered by the beep or even noticing it. Now I rebooted and there was definitely no beep. Was there no beep a week ago? I have no idea :rofl:

Let’s go!!

I was the same as you, the beeping didn’t really bother me, and I didn’t want to blacklist the PC speaker because of it. Sometimes it comes in handy, because it’s still a warning sign if something isn’t working normally. In the past I heard a beep when logging into Cinnamon, but then it went away after one of the Cinnamon desktop package updates. Like you, I don’t like to spend more energy than necessary on solving a problem.

1 Like

How do I un-blacklist the PC speaker now?

Check this out.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PC_speaker

1 Like

The article doesn’t include how to whitelist it, only how to blacklist it…

Simply delete the nobeep.conf file you created earlier and you’re done.

1 Like
  1. Is the beeping when pressing backspace on a blank field fixed?
  2. I disabled pcspkr with this command:
sudo rmmod pcspkr && sudo echo "blacklist pcspkr" > /etc/modprobe.d/nobeep.conf

Does removing only nobeep.conf whitelist it?

If you delete the previously created NOBEEP.conf file, the original state will be restored. Otherwise, do you hear a beep when shutdown?