No audio devices after hibernation

Ive had this problem for around ~2 days now. Every time after waking system from hibernation sound devices disappear with Gnome settings showing “No output devices” and “No input devices”. Problem appears about 1/3’ish when times hibernate is used.

Inxi @ http://ix.io/4D9W
Journalctl | grep fail @ https://pastebin.com/XQTRcK1i

Journalctl has bunch of “gvc_mixer_card_get_index: assertion ‘GVC_IS_MIXER_CARD (card)’ failed” which timestampts corresponds to this problem.

From pacman upgrade logs this problem corresponds to these:

[ALPM] upgraded libpipewire (1:0.3.76-2 → 1:0.3.77-1)
[ALPM] upgraded pipewire (1:0.3.76-2 → 1:0.3.77-1)
[ALPM] upgraded pipewire-audio (1:0.3.76-2 → 1:0.3.77-1)
[ALPM] upgraded pipewire-jack (1:0.3.76-2 → 1:0.3.77-1)
[ALPM] upgraded linux64-tkg-pds (6.4.8-273 → 6.4.9-273)

Note that I changed kernel to linux-zen 6.5.9 to check if problem was limited to linux-tkg.

So far temporary solution to fix this is either full reboot or running

systemctl --user restart wireplumber pipewire pipewire-pulse

pactl info when no audio devices are found:

Server String: /run/user/1000/pulse/native
Library Protocol Version: 35
Server Protocol Version: 35
Is Local: yes
Client Index: 119
Tile Size: 65472
User Name: 
Host Name: eos
Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.77)
Server Version: 15.0.0
Default Sample Specification: float32le 2ch 48000Hz
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Default Sink: @DEFAULT_SINK@
Default Source: @DEFAULT_SOURCE@
Cookie: c155:07f7

pactl info after running systemctl restart on wireplumber, pipewire and pipewire-pulse

Server String: /run/user/1000/pulse/native
Library Protocol Version: 35
Server Protocol Version: 35
Is Local: yes
Client Index: 111
Tile Size: 65472
User Name: 
Host Name: eos
Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.77)
Server Version: 15.0.0
Default Sample Specification: float32le 2ch 48000Hz
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_0f_00.4.analog-stereo
Default Source: alsa_input.usb-Logitech_G733_Gaming_Headset-00.mono-fallback
Cookie: c155:07f7

I’m next planning to downgrade kernel and check if that resolves it.
I’m bit divided between if this is more of a kernel problem or pipewire problem with new updates, or something else.

Any ideas?

Try downgrading pipewire and all connected packages back to 0.3.76
I had some troubles with 0.3.77 just today where it wouldn’t remove disconnected sound profile entries. downgrading fixed it nicely.

2 Likes

Thanks. Trying that now; Keeping newest kernel and downgrading pipewire and all its connected packages.

After around 5 hibernations and 1 reboot problem has not appeared again.

I will mark your response as a solution. Thanks!

TL;DR for others who might encounter this:
Cause was Pipewire 0.3.77.
Solution was downgrading gst-plugin-pipewire pipewire-alsa pipewire-jack pipewire-pulse pipewire libpipewire back to version 0.3.76.

Kernel is still newest (6.4.9-zen), that was not issue here.

2 Likes

How did you do that with the downgrade then? I currently have the problem that after the hibernation no sound is no longer available and also some apps probably therefore make probelme; after a reboot it works again until hibernation occurs

downgrade pipewire
loading packages...
warning: downgrading package pipewire (1:0.3.77-1 => 1:0.3.76-2)
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "libpipewire=1:0.3.76-2", a dependency of "pipewire"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      pipewire

but what also disturbs me is that i can’t find any pipewire service at all

systemctl status pipewire
Unit pipewire.service could not be found.

You have to use the --user flag.

systemctl --user status pipewire.service
1 Like

oh the user switch, i was blind sorry

anyway after hibernation there is no sound the only logline from pipewire is:

Aug 13 11:55:59 tealk-tuxedoaura15gen1 pipewire[1716]: spa.audioadapter: 0x5623388e9e08: scheduling stopped node

When I restart the service after hibernation, the sound works as usual again.

If what you are asking is how to properly downgrade pipewire than do this:
yay pipewire
Now all of the related packages are listed and write down the package name of all those listings which have (Installed: 1:0.3.77-1) in green at the end.
And just do the same thing as before (ie.: downgrade pipewire) and just list all of those packages after each other with a space in between them.
And like that there won’t be any dependency issues.
For each package you will have to chose which version you want it to be downgraded, and make sure to pick the same one for each.

1 Like

thank you, so it worked and now the error is also no longer present.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.