Nitro 5 3060/intel GFX switchable?

Interestingly the issue persists in 515.48.07… :pensive:

1 Like

looks like it’s the ibt=0 as you suspected. :slight_smile: progress,

1 Like

So now the driver loads. Do you not think optimus-manager is the way to go for switching? Or you think another way?

Honestly I’d just stick with on-demand render offload, there’s no real reason for switching any more.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PRIME#Configure_applications_to_render_using_GPU

Is that really only using it for games then on a gaming platform? Otherwise run on Intel?

I’ll try optimus-manager and see how it goes. I just need to make a permanent entry in grub, which I think I remember how to do…grup update after editing etc… IBT is Intel’s control flow integrity protection whatever that is, will have to look that up and see what it’s used for anything important.

Thank you so much guys, you’ve been legendary! will try the optimus manager now.

Yes. 

Why not first try the render offload approach that doesn’t need additional software?

1 Like

sorry, just read your reply now, I’ll have a read of that and give it a go. I’ve not heard of that before

1 Like

I’ve had a look at that, and to be honest, it’s going to be more practical for me to be able to switch between the intel and nvidia. I want the 120hz capability my display is capable of, and that desktop resolution is only possible on the nvidia card. Even if I could switch it to permanently use the nvidia I would be happy. There are more games and applications that I want to utilize the nvidia card than the intel and I usually have the laptop plugged in anyway.

Unfortunately although I can see the driver is there in inxi -Ga, it just hangs after started Hostname Service after installing optimus-manager.

looks like the issue is something to do with bbswitch and acpi_call

[jclow@Promootheus-Laptop ~]$ journalctl -u optimus-manager.service
Jun 25 13:13:23 Promootheus-Laptop systemd[1]: Starting Optimus Manager Commands Daemon...
Jun 25 13:13:23 Promootheus-Laptop python3[560]: [8] INFO: # Daemon pre-start hook
Jun 25 13:13:23 Promootheus-Laptop python3[560]: [8] INFO: Removing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf (if present)
Jun 25 13:13:23 Promootheus-Laptop python3[560]: [9] INFO: Startup mode is: integrated
Jun 25 13:13:23 Promootheus-Laptop python3[560]: [9] INFO: Writing state {'type': 'pending_pre_xorg_start', 'requested_mode': 'integrated', 'current_mode': None}
Jun 25 13:13:23 Promootheus-Laptop python3[560]: [9] INFO: Daemon pre-start hook completed successfully.
Jun 25 13:13:23 Promootheus-Laptop python3[560]: [9] INFO: Calling Xorg pre-start hook.
Jun 25 13:13:23 Promootheus-Laptop python3[596]: [6] INFO: # Xorg pre-start hook
Jun 25 13:13:23 Promootheus-Laptop python3[596]: [6] INFO: Previous state was: {'type': 'pending_pre_xorg_start', 'requested_mode': 'integrated', 'current_mode':>
Jun 25 13:13:23 Promootheus-Laptop python3[596]: [6] INFO: Requested mode is: integrated
Jun 25 13:13:23 Promootheus-Laptop python3[599]: modinfo: ERROR: Module bbswitch not found.
Jun 25 13:13:23 Promootheus-Laptop python3[600]: modinfo: ERROR: Module acpi_call not found.
Jun 25 13:13:24 Promootheus-Laptop python3[596]: [102] INFO: Available modules: ['nouveau', 'nvidia', 'nvidia_drm', 'nvidia_modeset', 'nvidia_uvm']
Jun 25 13:13:24 Promootheus-Laptop python3[596]: [102] INFO: Unloading modules ['nvidia_drm', 'nvidia_modeset', 'nvidia_uvm', 'nvidia'] (if loaded)
Jun 25 13:13:24 Promootheus-Laptop python3[596]: [104] INFO: switching=none, nothing to do
Jun 25 13:13:24 Promootheus-Laptop python3[596]: [117] INFO: Writing to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf
Jun 25 13:13:24 Promootheus-Laptop python3[596]: [117] INFO: Writing state {'type': 'pending_post_xorg_start', 'switch_id': '20220625T131323', 'requested_mode': >
Jun 25 13:13:24 Promootheus-Laptop python3[596]: [118] INFO: Xorg pre-start hook completed successfully.
Jun 25 13:13:24 Promootheus-Laptop systemd[1]: Started Optimus Manager Commands Daemon.
Jun 25 13:13:24 Promootheus-Laptop python3[618]: [1] INFO: # Commands daemon
Jun 25 13:13:24 Promootheus-Laptop python3[618]: [1] INFO: Opening UNIX socket
Jun 25 13:13:24 Promootheus-Laptop python3[618]: [1] INFO: Awaiting commands
-- Boot ee6714b2e9784b7c8b6c54c69199cef2 --
Jun 25 13:21:25 Promootheus-Laptop systemd[1]: Starting Optimus Manager Commands Daemon...
Jun 25 13:21:25 Promootheus-Laptop python3[506]: [8] INFO: # Daemon pre-start hook
Jun 25 13:21:25 Promootheus-Laptop python3[506]: [8] INFO: Removing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf (if present)
Jun 25 13:21:25 Promootheus-Laptop python3[506]: [9] INFO: Startup mode is: integrated

Are you useing optimus-switch or optimus-manager?

Edit: This is what i usually recommend on KDE.

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/nvidia/optimus-manager-for-nvidia/2021/03/

I have a similar laptop except mine is a rtx2060 nitro 5. Here is what I did to install. First I installed the drivers with. sudo nvidia-installer-dkms . Then without rebooting I installed optimus-manager then installed optimus-manager-qt. Added optimus manager to autostart and all worked.

In optimus manager after reboot under settings Nvidia change dynamic power management to fine.

This is exactly what i wanted the OP to try.

Oh sorry

What are you sorry for? What you are saying is what they should try in my opinion.

1 Like

I’m using the optimus manager.
I followed the exact order that theremper mentions and on boot I get stuck where it says…

Started HostName Service

I can get past this by editing…

sudo nano /usr/share/optimus-manager.conf

and changing

switching=none to switching=nvidia

then I get to a login screen.

Unfortunately the Optimus Manager Qt won’t load, I get

[jclow@Promootheus-Laptop applications]$ optimus-manager-qt
Unable to read current mode from Optimus Manager state file
Aborted (core dumped)

So I installed

community/bbswitch 0.8-514

but no joy

[jclow@Promootheus-Laptop applications]$ optimus-manager --print-mode
ERROR: the optimus-manager service failed boot-time startup.
Log at /var/log/optimus-manager/daemon/daemon-20220626T122825.log
Error loading config file : Config parsing : error in option "switching" in section [optimus] : invalid value "nvidia"

Ok, so ‘nvidia’ was clearly a bad guess there.

If you get a sec, would you be ok to post your…

/usr/share/optimus-manager.conf

so I can see what options are set to as an example, thx

You shouldn’t need to guess - there’s documentation available: https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager/wiki/v1.3.1-README

Thanks, yeah, I tried some of the valid options and none worked, they all just seem to halt the boot at different points. I even installed the git version to see if I had any better luck but it’s the same problem.

In an ideal world I’d be able to see what the system is ‘trying’ to do at startup instead of just what it succeded or failed with. Is there a way to get startup to output in a bit more detail. That way I could see what’s it’s trying to after
“Started Hostname service”?

It can’t get past that and just gets stuck.

Made some progress…

running optimus-manager

gives the error…

ERROR: a GPU setup was initiated but Xorg post-start hook did not run.
Log at /var/log/optimus-manager/switch/switch-20220626T144316.log
If your login manager is GDM, make sure to follow those instructions:
https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager#important--gnome-and-gdm-users
If your display manager is neither GDM, SDDM nor LightDM, or if you don't use one, read the wiki:
https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager/wiki/FAQ,-common-issues,-troubleshooting
Cannot execute command because of previous errors.

open log..
/var/log/optimus-manager/switch/switch-20220626T144316.log

[6] INFO: # Xorg pre-start hook
[6] INFO: Previous state was: {'type': 'pending_pre_xorg_start', 'requested_mode': 'integrated', 'current_mode': None}
[6] INFO: Requested mode is: integrated
[31] INFO: Available modules: ['nouveau', 'bbswitch', 'nvidia', 'nvidia_drm', 'nvidia_modeset', 'nvidia_uvm']
[32] INFO: Unloading modules ['nvidia_drm', 'nvidia_modeset', 'nvidia_uvm', 'nvidia'] (if loaded)
[37] INFO: switching=none, nothing to do
[62] INFO: Writing to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf
[62] INFO: Writing state {'type': 'pending_post_xorg_start', 'switch_id': '20220626T144316', 'requested_mode': 'integrated'}
[63] INFO: Xorg pre-start hook completed successfully.

solution…

running prime-offload
then
optimus-manager-qt

this has the tray now working, but if I use it to switch to the nvidia card, it logs me off as expected, but the show…

[OK ] Reached target graphical interface

and just stays there.