Newbie - Anbox crashes on launch

In short a cheque was mailed to me and I can’t do in person banking due to heart disease, being over 65 years of age and Covid-19.
I don’t have a smartphone and am attempting to use Anbox on my desktop computer to download the Android mobile banking app.

This is the error in Terminal.
[Archie-MSI-EVO ~]$ anbox session-manager
[ 2020-06-18 14:18:46] [session_manager.cpp:136@operator()] Failed to start as either binder or ashmem kernel drivers are not loaded

I can’t say I’ve used it myself, but from this page, I would:

Make sure you have had the header files for your kernel installed (e.g. linux-headers for Linux kernel).

Install anbox-gitAUR, anbox-imageAUR (or anbox-image-gappsAUR if you want to include Google’s Apps and houdini), anbox-modules-dkms-gitAUR

Start/enable the following services:

• anbox-container-manager.service

I think I’ll try installing Anbox or Android on my laptop as it most likely is more compatible as a mobile device.

I was going to suggest the Android SDK but then went to do a bit of research.

Android SDK is easy to install and use. But you do have other options, check this site https://fossbytes.com/best-android-emulators-linux/

Android-x86 ISO can be installed into a usb pen and boot in the pc.
Do this by using the dd command:

dd bs=1M oflag=sync status=progress if=android-x86_64-9.0-r2.iso of=/dev/sdx

Where sdx is the USB device, that you can look for with the command lsblk

You will have something like /dev/sda that is your hard disk, but the usb dongle will be like /dev/sdb

I have installed it now on my Thinkpad and it’s Android version 9, so, not bad at all.

1 Like

Thanks babalu
I ended up installing Prime OS (classic) x86 for my older laptop. As the x86_64 Android version just wouldn’t work.
As I hate being tracked by anything Google, I installed Aurora Store | FOSS Play Store Client on Prime OS.
The Aurora Store allows [ anonymous ] login, download and install which is fantastic and duplicates all apps that are available on Googles playstore.