New to EndeavourOS forum but not Linux

Hello All,
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself and say from what I have read on some posts this looks like a good bunch of folks. My primary language is english and that is all I know… :slight_smile:
I have been on Linux for 2 years in Dec, wow, time flies! I have been on Mint 17/18 for the whole time. I also use MX-18 as my TV, Movie system. I also have a Ubuntu 18.04 server that is also the movie and audio central service.
So I have been around some… Lol
I started with Dos 3 many moons ago, love computers, I have tried Linux several times years ago, but I finally got tired of Windows and Joe Collins got me to switch to Linux and I have not looked back… :slight_smile:

I have test ran lots of stuff in a VM and I have several computer with Mint-Cinnamon, MX19, Manjaro-Cinnamon, I have been using EndeavourOS in a vm and have installed it on a real system and I really like it so far…

I am have a issue with my sound on HDMI but that is for another post… My bedtime, at 65 I need rest… Just wanted to say Hello…
LLAP

8 Likes

Hi,

Welcome on the forum and thank you for installing EndeavourOS. I hope you have a good and long ride with us.

2 Likes

Thanks you!

Welcome youngster.

1 Like

Thank you! CMarch
Being that I am 65 that makes me feel good… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

74 years young, welcome.

3 Likes

Thanks you beardedragon…
With that being said I guess I am the youngster… LOL
Never thought I would be learning a new OS at this late date but here I am
Having a blast learning all kinds of Linuxeeness and that the one truth for sure in Linux, “There is always more that one way to make something work”… :smiley:

Back when BBS’s were a thing I use to write ton’s of Batch files and when the BBS’s went by the wayside that ended the writing and Windows took over and I got lazy and gave up the programing stuff… Sad but true…
Now with Linux I have gotten back into learning to write stuff in Bash for now… Being retired due to a stroke and half bling I have lots of time to play now days… :smiley:
Catch ya later and thanks for the welcome!
LLAP

2 Likes

Started back when MSDOS was 2.7, basic and batch files were the thing. Know the feeling.

1 Like

welcome, i started with msdos 6.22 as first pc :slight_smile: but then i was 11 :slight_smile: was around 1991 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, my Gosh!
And I was thinking that I was the oldest (46) in this side of the city :wink: LOL

1 Like

When I started university in 1986, I had “missed” having to use punch cards by about a year – I got to use the shinny new computer lab with the DEC VT-220 terminals.

Instead of basic, we started in FORTRAN and PASCAL, then advanced into C.

2 Likes

Lol, You must be 1 block over… :smile:
That’s ok! Wish I could remember 46… Lol

1 Like

I took a mail correspondence course with NRI. Micro Computer Repairs in case the railroad I was working on sold out, they did years later. Built a Sanyo with two 5 1/4" floppy drives, added a video board to have 768k RAM, more than the current IBM PCs, 650k, at the time with a small green screen monitor, Some fun. At age 50 forced to retire because of epilepsy I ran a grade school computer lab for ten school years as full time volunteer with old Apples and one server, whatever the teachers traded in. It’s been a big part of my life since then, helping out with forums and such. Recently took a rebuilt workstation and added nvidia graphics, upgraded the drives from 250GB too 3 TB. Love Linux.

2 Likes

@beardedragon
Back in the 80’s I worked for a school as the night Custodian Head. I had 4 people that worked at night. The Biology Teacher was all so the Network guy. Today we call them IT’s… Lol
Well I got to know him real well and he was also a Star Trek Geek as I am and he said let me show you this… He took me to the server room and showed me the first Unix system that I ever seen… He had Dbase IV on the server that the teachers used for their records and reports. He had started a dbase of Star Trek Tv and Movies… Never using a computer before he said sit down and I will show you how to start your own database… He goes, OH! you will need access to the computer… Type this and type that, Bam I was a user on the schools network… I was in seventh heaven… It took me 2 months of working on my lunch hour to create and add all my Movies and Star Trek shows…
I have 492 VHS tapes and everyone of them and the movies on them are in the database. He even gave me a my own copy of Dbase IV… LOL

I still use the database today. Libreoffice opens it as it was created 40 years ago… Yes I still have a VCR player… :slight_smile:
I went out and bought my first Packard Bell 286 desktop and have not looked back… It has all changed Soooo Much… Now we have Linux. Ya have to Love it… Lol
LLAP

2 Likes

I ran a BBS too back in the day! And just like now with Linux distros, I “hopped” between several different BBS packages in the 90’s, including GAP, QuickBBS, Telegard, and RemoteAccess before finally settling on Maximus. I’m hoping Endeavour can become my new home as well.

1 Like

I remember seeing the magazine ads for those correspondence courses as a kid! Always sounded interesting, but at the time my family could barely afford a Commodore 64.

Thats interesting… I was a big BBS Nut myself… :smiley:
I also ran a BBS in the 90’s when I lived in Sheridan Indiana. It was Called " The USS Stargazer BBS… :smiley:
I Remember those BBS Software programs. I looked at GAP and Maximus… I had to guys that I met on the BBS network in chat, one ran Wildcat BBS and the other was GAP BBS… We were all 15 miles apart and between all of us we had the hold county covered… LOL!
I was into OS/2 at the time and had a 1 line node at the start and the next year I had bought 4 more US Robotic 28.8 modems and the old one was a 15 I believe and software upgraded the DSP to 28.8. So I had 5 nodes active on the 10 node Wildcat BBS Software. They were running a upgrade special so instead of $500 it cost me $200… :smiley:
I still have the BBS setting over here in the conner and I start it up 3 or 4 times a year and it still amazes me that I wrote all those Batch files… I have upgraded the drives but the ole IDE and Scsi drives work like a charm to this day…
OS/2 humms right along as always. The BBS loads all the nodes and there are no modems but it just errors out and load the Welcome Screens…

Good times for sure I miss those days but not the phone bill…Lol
LLAP

1 Like