New System Build Question

or is MAYBE you find an AMD GPU at MSRP which is not an easy task right now :joy:

PRices returning to normal is being projected around 1-2yrs out right now :nauseated_face:

1 Like

I just look at the specs and go with my own experience & instincts. Ive never really had any issues with any mother board Iā€™ve ever bought in my lifetime. I only buy ATX motherboards. Anyone can can get a lemon and sometimes people create their own issues with hardware. I donā€™t tend to take a lot of stock in reviews unless itā€™s from Phoronix or Anatech or some others. But, I donā€™t tend to look at reviews. I look at specs and i buy based on what Iā€™m looking for and also based on how much it costs. You have to be realistic.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion no matter what. I have my own and itā€™s based on specs, experience and cost. Sometimes having the better specs isnā€™t worth the price of it.

2 Likes

And sometimes it isnā€™t worth the HEAT of it either!

1 Like

That too because the M.2 drives run hotter the faster they are for sure.

2 Likes

Im going based on looking at the board layout and VRM components on the 2 boards in this case. There really isnt a better board in the 300$ or less category than the B550 Aorus Master IMO. Its so insanely over built for its price bracket that if i was building right now and didnt have the X470 Gaming 7 Id buy it without question. The only real downside the the Master is the realtek 2.5gb lan which isnt ideal but its not bad.

EDIT: Well and the Gigabyte Bios which can sometimes be meh

1 Like

You get better board with better VRMs/Heatsink they have less heat :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s what i mean when i say specs. But again some of these boards are just getting way too expensive. So price also plays a factor in my decision. Iā€™d rather get a better board and upgrade something else later if necessary but i try to get what i want with the amount of money iā€™m willing to spend on it rather than upgrades later.

2 Likes

You dont wanna hop on the Mini ITX pain train? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nopeā€¦ no I might but Ultra ATX though? :grin:

2 Likes

This is always a solid plan. The number of people that skimp out on core components likes motherboard and end up regretting it is unfortunate :grimacing:

1 Like

I take it you mean regular hard drives then. I can understand that.

2 Likes

I hear atm if youre doing things like large ZFS arrays you want to avoid WD due to SMR. This will cause the array to be painfully slow and unfortunately they dont label SMR drives. This can be bad especially when a drive dies and you replace it and rebuilding the array is already painful.

Their SSDs are fine enough, but I dont like the write speed limiting and the swapping out for cheaper parts than originally advertised when they sent out review samples. It wouldnt be so bad if they performed the same but usually dont.

1 Like

Yes @ricklinux I was referring to spinning HDD.

@Echoa Indeed I had this situation when I purchased my laptop last year. It had a WD HDD, but it was nowhere mentioned that HDD is SMR. Thankfully, Iā€™m using it as ext4 just to store my files, music and virtual machines. Works ok for my needs.

1 Like

Youā€™ve actually got this backward. This is not windows. Amd is the better choice on Linux as far as driver support is concerned. :+1:

2 Likes

Sadly, my last experience with AMD for video left me unimpressed. In fact I went back to winblows after thatā€¦ That was some time ago so I am at a point now again that for other than a few items I would rather be Linux based and IF I can get a decently priced? AMD card with decent specs I will likely give one a shot.

As to the rest of the posts since I am tired after working all day, suffice to say, the input is appreciated and I am ā€œcompilingā€ some variants based on the information provided. Winter is coming so this will be an interesting project. I have enough systems not that I can play with things and if something fails I can alter on the fly as needed without interrupting the most important gaming timeā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

The only consideration with AMD video cards of recent age is that the ray tracing isnā€™t quite there yet. Every other way, they outperform nvidia for less $ and less power draw (and heat) - and the drivers are much simpler to access on Linux, being mostly in the kernel.

An all AMD system saves so much aggravation over time it is almost impossible to overstate!

MB wise, checking out the specs on the most cost-effective ASUS boards often leads to happy results - has in my case(s) anywayā€¦

1 Like