New processor: AMD Ryzen or Intel?

Last week, the total failure of my girlfriend’s ancient computer made me painfully aware that it’s high time to take care of the inheritance of my own computer, whose processor and board have been running like this for 11 years now. It is an i5 2500K (not overclocked) with an equally old rather inexpensive motherboard from ASUS. I’ve been making a shopping list for a while now, which includes the following:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MSI B550-A PRO
be quiet! Shadow Rock 3
Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G36C16U4B 3600 MHz
be quiet! BN305 Straight Power 11 Platinum 550W

I will only keep my Lian Li case and my two hard drives and my AMD RX 580.

The point here is not whether the setup could be too much for my applications, but whether it would not be better to continue to rely on Intel instead of possibly bothering with Ryzen BIOS updates to get the Ryzen to work. I have already read a lot of negative things about it. I’m also concerned about longevity, which I’m used to from my old i5 2500.
What would currently be an adequate Intel 8 core, which is priced in the measurable range (about 350 €s)?

For that build, I would get the 5700x instead of the 5800x.
Cheaper, less power hungry, less heat and almost the same performance.

3 Likes

The decision is totally yours. I just bought a laptop with Ryzen7 5700U and so far so good, and it is super efficient.
I would be a bit more skeptical if you were going to get the new 7000 line.

I’m not that familiar with AMD yet, doesn’t the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X or AMD Ryzen 7 5700X belong to the 7000 line?

I fine only a Ryzen 7 5700G (graphics is just as unnecessary for me as the AMD cooler, therefore X).

No, this is quite confusing. The 7000 line will be debuting in few months, and their chips will be called something similar to Ryzen 7 7700X.
The 5700 is basically 5000 line.

1 Like

5700g - Vega iGPU
5700x/5800x - No iGPU, thus dGPU required

I know, that’s why I prefer to look for a …X

1 Like

Image from: https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen

1 Like

OK, so to get back on topic: I’m sticking with my plan to go for Ryzen, thanks friends for helping me decide :slight_smile: Now I just lack the money for all the stuff …

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you are reading but Ryzen works great. I have the 3800X running with an AMD RX 590. If i was to get a new CPU i would also go for the 5700x which runs 65W instead of 100W. Yes you may have to update the UEFI Bios (Firmware) on the B550 board but that’s easy and is a non issue.

1 Like

Thanks, decided to go with the Ryzen 7 5700X :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Good decision. I got Ryzen 9 5900X and I’m very, very happy with it.

2 Likes

Same with me. I upgraded from a Ryzen 7 3700X a while ago and the difference is impressive!

Ryzen has one big advantage over Intel which is normally not mentioned or discussed. And that is the fact that Ryzen CPUs support ECC memory while Intel consumer CPUs dont do that.

Not all AMD Motherboards support ECC memory but many do. E.g. Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA. This is the board I have and it runs perfectly with 4x 16GB Kingston KSM26ED8/16ME DDR4-2666 ECC DIMM CL19 Single. I even overclocked the RAM to 3200 MHz without any issue.

Maybe you can wait until release of Ryzen 7000 series from September. If you can not wait, 5700x is good choice but it is more expensive than 5800x 2 week ago in Germany, lol.

I can’t say much about the x-series but I am totally satisfied with my g-series (Ryzen 7 5700G) in a Gigabyte AORUS board (B550).I didn’t have a big budget for an external graphics card, so I think you’ll do very well with the Ryzen 7 5700X.

1 Like

I just bought my Sapphire RX 580 a little over 2 years ago and I think I can get by with it in this lifetime :wink: .

1 Like

of course that would be perfect. it always depends on the use. i don’t play much. supertuxkart and gaiasky are my most graphically demanding applications. of course i also hope i can get by for a long time with my current setup :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.