New laptop, wifi doesn't work on battery power but works fine on AC power + other power management issues

$ iw dev wlan0 get power_save
Power save: off

Not sure why I didn’t think to try this. I’ve tried a few times now and I can’t get the installer to boot at all on battery power. On AC, the boot and wifi work perfectly. On battery, I get a frozen black screen that sometimes has a cursor as the DE tries to start. Interesting note is that my caps lock LED indicator starts flashing while it’s frozen. This happens with my other freezing issues too most of the time, I just hadn’t paid that much attention to it. My actual EOS install still boots most of the time on battery, and windows 11 works as expected.

update: I tried a few more times and was finally able to boot without freezing on battery. Wifi isn’t working in the installer, but the device does seem to be detected. The xfce wifi applet said something like “no network devices available” before switching to just “disconnected”. ip link shows the wlan0 device in this case.

$ sudo ip link set wlan0 up
RTNETLINK answers: Input/output error
Power save: on
$ sudo iw dev wlan0 set power_save off
RTNETLINK answers: Connection timed out

Apparently this is a kernel panic. I switched over to the LTS kernel and it doesn’t seem to freeze anymore (so far), but the other issues remain. Wifi still doesn’t work when booting off battery power.

update: LTS panicked as well, so theres definitely something else going on with that. I also reseated the wifi card just to be sure, and no improvement there either.

Hi,

Can you provide your logs after these commands

RTNETLINK answers: Connection timed out

You mentioned that you are also using win11, make sure that fast boot/fast startup is turned off and that you have performed a full shutdown. I’ve seen some strange firmware behavior when windows goes into its semi-hibernated mode.

Other things you could try:

• check your bios for powersaving options
  • upgrade/downgrade your intel firmware
  • try using ubuntu live environment. From my experience, it has the most extensive hardware/firmware support with pre-patched kernel for various issues. Of course, YMMV.

Good luck!

One thing to check is are there any BIOS/firmware updates for the motherboard?
HP pages should show that.

If you find a BIOS update, be very careful to check that the update is exactly for your motherboard, not to some closely similar board. Updating the wrong BIOS firmware probably will brick the motherboard.

I have “Turn on fast startup (recommended)” disabled. That’s the only setting I know of.

This bios seems pretty limited and I don’t see any options for that unfortunately.

I’ll look into how to do that.

I’m getting the same thing in ubuntu 22.10. ip link set wlan0 up gives one of these 3 responses in either OS.

$ sudo ip link set wlp1s0 up
RTNETLINK answers: Input/output error
$ sudo ip link set wlp1s0 up
RTNETLINK answers : Connection timed out
$ sudo ip link set wlp1s0 up # no output
$

journalctl -b

The latest bios version on the website is F.03, and the version I have installed is F.04

Was the machine equipped with F.04 when you bought it?
Strange that they don’t have it on their website.

Yes. The latest on the website is dated 8/11 and I bought mine in december, so I guess they just haven’t added F.04 to their downloads page yet for whatever reason

Can you provide some more info? /lib/firmware already seems to have every version available and I can’t find any way to see what version is loaded or how to change it.

Hey,

Your logs show the firmware version

loaded firmware version 66.f1c864e0.0 cc-a0-66.ucode

As for upgrading/downgrading firmware, I would go to https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/linux-firmware.git and get it from there.

But don’t do that if you are not sure how to get the right version.

Anyway, I think the main issue is this

ACPI FADT declares the system doesn't support PCIe ASPM, so disable it

Either a buggy BIOS, or the hardware (your WiFi) does not support PCI-e power management, more info with references here https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_management#Active_State_Power_Management and here https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/documentation/ASPM

Is that a solveable problem? I looked through the links you send and added the pcie_aspm=off kernel parameter to no avail.
A buggy bios wouldn’t surprise me given its an HP laptop, though it’d be incredibly unfortunate if that’s a problem as I doubt they’d take it back after all I’ve done to it now. It does work perfectly in windows though, so I imagine it’s either a problem with my software configuration (hopefully), or with linux itself.

You could try this setting in /etc/modprobe.d/iwlmvm.conf

add

options iwlmvm power_scheme=1

Edit: I have read that this power management function should already be disabled in the kernel but who knows.

Edit2: Make sure fast start up feature in Windows power management is disabled. Also set battery power for WiFi adapter on battery to maximum performance.

Through windows? I wasn’t able to find that option but I can try again later when I have time. The other 2 things are already done

Yes power management on battery and WiFi if there is a setting separate.

1 Like

I disabled all the power management stuff I can find in windows and still no improvement.

Shutdown settings

• Turn on fast startup (recommended) = off

Power Options > PCI Express > Link State Power Management

• On battery = off
  • Plugged in = off

Device Manager > AX200 > Advanced

• MIMO Power Save Mode = No SMPS
  • Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect = Disabled
  • U-ASPD support = Disabled

Theres no power management tab under the device manager device properties menu.

Did you check the WiFi adapter on Windows in device manager and uncheck the box that tells it to turn off WiFi when low on battery.

Am I looking in the right place here? There’s no option to disable power saving under any of these other than what I listed above.

Sorry for the slow replies, I haven’t had a lot of time to work on this.

Yes …check the tabs if they have anything. :thinking: Have you tried going back to the realtek adapter and installing rtl8852be-dkms-git from the AUR? I don’t know what chip it is for sure? When it’s installed need inxi -Na to see what card exactly it is. Is there an issue with the battery not holding charge? Did you try using it on battery down to 15% and shutdown for 30 + minutes and then fully charge it up.
Are you sure you have the latest Bios update? Can’t look it up on HP’s site unless you have the model and serial number.

Can you get that infonfrom the attached images? HP was nice enough to provide a teardown video but apparently didn’t plan on people actually needing to follow it with how they’ve designed the chassis. I doubt it’ll survive much more abuse so I really don’t want tomess with it again if I can avoid it. That in mind, next time I open it up, it’s going to stay open and so I’ll be without a laptop until it’s fixed.

I haven’t, but I’ll try that when I get the chance. The battery hasn’t had time to discharge because it’s useless for my needs while not plugged in.

My bios is newer than the latest on their site. I have F.04 and theirs only goes up to F.03

HP Pavilion Aero Laptop Model 13-be1097nr
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-aero-13-laptop-pc-13-be1000/2101006333/model/2101006384?sku=686P1UA

Okay so it is the BE version.

Edit: On windows this is what i was telling you to disable. Not sure if it has that for the Intel card or not. This was for the realtek.

Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:

1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
  2. Expand the Network adapters.
  3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
  4. Click the Power Management tab.
  5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Test.