Networking

So I’d like to stream some music and video across my Wi-Fi to my devices like phones and tablets. But I’m unsure of who to even begin the process. I don’t have the ability to run a dedicated server yet, but I plan on building up to that with NAS and a homelab. What’s the best way to start using my main driver? Thanks for your advice.

I use Jellyfin for that. You can install it on a NAS but you can just as easily install it on your PC.

Then just open the port in your firewall and that should be it.

2 Likes

I also use Jellyfin for series/movies and Navidrome for music/podcast playback.

Both are simple to configure but if you have questions don’t hesitate.

It’s not a NAS exactly but I have an external drive hooked up to my PC. Is it better to run Jellyfish off that or just use my PC as the server and my devices for the client?

You would run jellyfin on the machine you have the drive connected to.(Your PC)

However, you can store your music and videos on the external drive, the internal drives or both.

Okay, so it’s installed and running, but I cannot “see” the folder when I try to add the media folder to my Jellyfin web service. It’s a USB external hard drive mounted automatically to /run/media/r/My Book. I can get as far as /run/media/r/ in the web interface, but no farther. Is it a permissions issue or a mount issue?

For your media, don’t use an automount.

Mount the drive somewhere permanently in /etc/fstab

Working on that. The problem is that when I try umount to unmount my external drive, it doesn’t find it. The location mount is /run/media/rob/My Book/ I suspect it has to do with the space in the middle, but for the life of my can’t figure out how to account for it on the command line.

You can escape a space with a backslash.

umount /run/media/rob/My\ Book/

Or you can quote the part with spaces.

umount /run/media/rob/'My Book'/

Thank you for that. I had no idea of the syntaxes. I wound on using Gnome Disks which allowed me to graphically unmount the drive. As soon as that happened, the new mount took hold. Thanks again, I’ll have to remember that for the future.