This has been asked before and I have found quite many answers that have not worked so far for me.
The problem is that some sites do not load at all and some videos on Udemy do not play. Let me explain.
I have been going through some courses on Udemy, most of the courses are for my hobbies. I have noticed that some videos do work, but other do not. I went through long and boring support ticket. That resulted in them saying that they didn’t support Linux web browsers…
Then there are sites like when I am trying to log into my work mail, which is Microsoft Outlook. The log in site does not show up, in stead I get black canvas prompting me that the server could be down, I could be behind VPN (which I do not use) or I could be offline.
This also true for few local sites, such as www.hekla.is
I have tried clearing cache, enabling/disabling drm and hardware acceleration.
I have tried to install “missing” ffmpeg codecs (can’t find the correct command for now, will look better).
Tried installing MPV player, a solution I found on the Arch forum (which got Udemy working until next restart).
I have tried installing Google-Chrome and logging in that way, without using any privacy extension, with same results.
For my curiosity I installed Fedora on GNOME-boxes, logged into my Firefox account, which sets up all my extensions and tried Udemy, hekla.is and Outlook. The results is that on Fedora everything works.
I am at a loss now, there are bunch of threads for “Udemy videos not playing on Linux”, most of these are resolved with clearing cache, toggling drm - hardware acceleration on/off or installing some libavcodec package or not solved at all.
However, my browser is still not playing these videos and these few sites are not loading after adding drivers for AMD, changing gfx.webrender.all and meda.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled to true. This is too hard at the moment.
Also it can’t be that complicated. FF comes with ffmpeg build-in and should play everything out of the box if isn’t DRMed. And we established that it works on other systems and you turned on DRM in the FF settings.
I don’t know how to change DNS settings, never have needed to. Will check now, but it should be the same.
[olividir@ProX-AMD5 ~]$ dig hekla.is
; <<>> DiG 9.18.19 <<>> hekla.is
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 30405
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 7, ADDITIONAL: 13
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;hekla.is. IN A
;; ANSWER SECTION:
hekla.is. 491 IN A 184.108.40.206
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
is. 5038 IN NS bes.isnic.is.
is. 5038 IN NS ht-tldsecondary01.isnic.is.
is. 5038 IN NS sab.isnic.is.
is. 5038 IN NS tg-tldsecondary01.isnic.is.
is. 5038 IN NS sunic.sunet.se.
is. 5038 IN NS set.isnic.is.
is. 5038 IN NS durinn.rhnet.is.
;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
bes.isnic.is. 83997 IN A 220.127.116.11
sab.isnic.is. 83997 IN A 18.104.22.168
set.isnic.is. 69068 IN A 22.214.171.124
sunic.sunet.se. 76238 IN A 126.96.36.199
durinn.rhnet.is. 9685 IN A 188.8.131.52
ht-tldsecondary01.isnic.is. 67956 IN A 184.108.40.206
tg-tldsecondary01.isnic.is. 82867 IN A 220.127.116.11
bes.isnic.is. 59447 IN AAAA 2001:500:14:6116:ad::1
sab.isnic.is. 54134 IN AAAA 2001:67c:1010:14::53
set.isnic.is. 10267 IN AAAA 2001:678:20::41
sunic.sunet.se. 2966 IN AAAA 2001:6b0:7::2
durinn.rhnet.is. 9685 IN AAAA 2a00:c88:10:16::20
ht-tldsecondary01.isnic.is. 10727 IN AAAA 2001:67c:6c:56::10
;; Query time: 3 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.3.1#53(192.168.3.1) (UDP)
;; WHEN: Sun Nov 12 18:37:11 GMT 2023
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 501
Not sure if this is what you are looking for regarding DNS server:
[olividir@ProX-AMD5 ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager