Net-installer reactions

there is a popup after you pressing the start installer button from welcome app, will ask you abou offline and netinstall… default selected option is offline :wink:

That’s what I thought. I foresee a few mistakes, there. It should really be clearer that you can only do the net install from the “Installer button” in the welcome app. Maybe the easiest would be to just remove the icon to the installer in the taskbar.

(I am anticipating a number of desktop testers on Youtube screwing that one up, for example).

good point !
we should remove the calamares button and add a button for the welcome app to the panel. @fernandomaroto @manuel @Bryanpwo ?

3 Likes

It certainly would be clearer to have any installer related button starting the same program and not different ones.

3 Likes

38 place . From 46 …in 2 days …:ok_hand::wink::wink::wink:

2 Likes

“MX, Look out!” :grin:

1 Like

I agree, I must admit that I forgot the Calamares button in the taskbar, because I was too focused on the button of the welcome app.
We’re going to keep the combined pop up menu choice, right?

2 Likes

Theming of the other DEs are in the pipeline, as mentioned in the announcement. :wink:

1 Like

i see that it looks like reviewers seem to like that DE’s are default :wink:

3 Likes

But we’re also praised for our xfce theming, :thinking:

2 Likes

Tough decision. To the experienced user, the fact that the DEs come in their default form, seems pretty good. As they want to do their own customization post-install.
To the new user, however, it is top priority that their newly installed system should be well-polished & ready-to-use.
Personally, I tend towards the “less is more” & KISS direction, BUT
I can also understand that the one who doesn`t like what he is provided with, will take his own action of experimenting & customizing.

3 Likes

Certainly yes, especially until they become involved with the distro and can make their own cosmetic configurations.

2 Likes

Finally got around playing with the NetInstaller…really cool! Well done gents!
I set up a VM and installed a couple of DEs just for the fun of it and to see what the “others” look like nowadays :slight_smile:
I really like the fact that within 10 minutes I have a working copy of most of the relevant DEs ready to go.

As far as the branding discussion above is concerned, could branding be an option which a user can add? Similar to the other xfce4 options?

Edit: Boy, this Deepin Desktop is outright beautiful! Hell, I am tempted…think I’ll convert my wife’s machine :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you Endeavour Os team for bringing this flawless net installer. I have installed cinnamon and budgie on my two systems (Dual boot with windows 10,Bios) without any issues.

3 Likes

Great to hear and welcome on the forum.

1 Like

The net installation went without any problems. Because my netbook does not have a LAN connection and I do not own a USB to LAN adapter I had to do a WLAN installation. The only thing that went wrong was a layer 8 problem. In the beginning I was not able to enter the key for the WLAN connection correctly. I changed the keyboard setup a dozen times which did not work. I have to admitt that this was kind of frustrating. In the end I realized that I simply had to disable Numlock. Sometimes all experiene one thinks one has is worth nothing, if stupidity comes in your way. :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

Destination Linux talk about the Netinstaller. Video should start at the correct time stamp:

7 Likes

I agree with these these guys. As far as I can judge (for now as I’m using the distro only for a few days now) you really did a great job. The net installer is really easy to use. Even unexperienced users should have no problems installing EndeavourOS. I installed three Desktopenvironments (Plasma, Enlightenment and Deepin) and everything runs stable on my netbook which isn’t really high end. If youre interested in the specs, you can read them in my profile. Especially the sound card gave me some trouble in the past. But even in that aspect everything is going fine.
I think I’m going to install EndeavourOS on my Powerhorse in the next few days as a second OS (no, the first OS is not Windows :wink:). But first I’ll have do do some reading on how to setup snapper correctly. I really got used to that snapshot stuff but never set it up manually.
I’m slowly getting used to the Syntax of pacman and yay, which ist certainly different to the package manager I’m used to work with.

2 Likes

How about adding a server role to the install options?
Means just a base OS without any DE and X components? I just had the need to install a test server for testing a Pleroma instance and the installer came in very handy. But I had to manually remove all the X stuff

We are looking into the Base install options and it will be ready when it’s ready, thank you for your feedback BTW.

5 Likes