Need Help Setting Mate-Terminal as Default Terminal

Hello EndeavourOS Community,

I’m new to this operating system and also to Arch. I’ve been a big fan of Budgie for many years, having previously used SolusOS and Ubuntu.

Recently, I came across a YouTube video about EndeavourOS and became immediately curious. The installation, setup, and the initial days of usage went smoothly.

However, there’s a small issue bothering me. I prefer the Mate-Terminal and would like to make it the default. I’ve managed to customize the terminal for the “CTRL-ALT-T” key combination, but when I right-click in a folder and choose “Open in Terminal,” the Gnome Terminal still opens.

I’ve tried using the dconf Editor to make adjustments. Under Ubuntu Budgie, I could make changes under “org” → “cinnamon” → “desktop” → “default-applications” → “terminal” and “org” → “gnome” → “desktop” → “applications” → “terminal.”

Unfortunately, I can’t modify these values as I receive the following error message in the terminal:

arduinoCopy code

"org" → "cinnamon" → "desktop" → "default-applications" → "terminal"
"org" → "gnome" → "desktop" → "applications" → "terminal"

Can someone kindly explain to me, in beginner-friendly terms, how to set Mate-Terminal as the default terminal? Your assistance is much appreciated!

Hello @Xastrax83 ,
Welcome to the community!
You may have installed yay -S dconf-editor
I maybe wrong but as dconf-editor missed dbus-launch

dbus-launch
dconf-editor

All is as you wrote (except for default-application: application …)
you switch default to custom enter mate-terminal and at the right top click to the clock:
Apply
during this there should not be errors nor warnings in the terminal where dconf-editor was started from. Tested works like a charm.
with seasonal greetings
‘Per aspera ad astra’

Good morning,

Thank you for your response, but it simply doesn’t work. Neither in Yay nor in Pacman is there a package named “dbus-launch” available.

The error message persists:
(dconf-editor:3021): dconf-WARNING **: 10:02:01.813: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error generating command line »dbus-launch --autolaunch=dd483c6698b640cbbff52eb015ab39f0 --binary-syntax --close-stderr«: The child process exited with status 1

Morning,
dbus-launch is part of the Budgie by default. It seemed that dbus is not running.
check the processs
ps -ef | grep dbus-daemon
Maybe it was not correct, but I wrote in terminal
dbus-launch
and then dconf-editor accepted the Apply
The incorrectness can be seen from this

too many dbus-daemon
dbus         413       1  0 10:21 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation --syslog-only
a           2107     689  0 10:32 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --session --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation --syslog-only
a           2280    2273  0 10:32 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --config-file=/usr/share/defaults/at-spi2/accessibility.conf --nofork --print-address 11 --address=unix:path=/run/user/1000/at-spi/bus_0
a           3444    2988  0 10:40 pts/0    00:00:00 grep dbus-daemon

but I can change default terminal with dconf-editor
P.S. make a copy of
~/.config/dconf/user
~ is your home directory
Sorry, using dconf-editor is risky.

Edit: Another really brutal workaround: rename mate-terminal to gnome-terminal

su
cd /usr/bin
mv gnome-terminal gnome-terminal_at_rest
cp mate-terminal gnome-terminal

but in this case gnome-terminal update should be ignored (not updated)
https://www.makeuseof.com/prevent-packages-from-getting-updated-arch-linux/

Edit2:
Out of curiosity reinstalled Budgie (Galileo).

dbus         441       1  0 19:38 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation --syslog-only
a            712     696  0 19:38 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --session --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation --syslog-only
a            750     743  0 19:38 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --config-file=/usr/share/defaults/at-spi2/accessibility.conf --nofork --print-address 11 --address=unix:path=/run/user/1000/at-spi/bus_0
a           2560    2552  0 19:40 pts/0    00:00:00 grep dbus-daemon

installed mate-terminal and dconf-editor

cd .config/dconf/
cp user user_def
dconf-editor

made the changes you wrote (gnome-terminal → mate-terminal)
there were no error messages. It simple works. Let’s forget my made-up stories.

I don’t use Budgie but according to https://discourse.ubuntubudgie.org/t/how-to-change-default-terminal-in-ubuntu-budgie-22-04-from-tilix-to-gnome-terminal/6768/2

org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal:Budgie

could be the right key

Not sure if this is true.

Of course, I may assume that in order to be sure you logged out and logged in again after doing a change here.

My role is testing only.
Schema

org.cinnamon.desktop.default-applications.terminal

Current value
'mate-terminal'
org.gnome… is useless in defining terminal here.
(What I like in Budgie is the unbloated functionality. My primary DE:Hyprland, WM: sway)