Need help explaining timeshift settings and some questions

Oh, is that what @BONK trying to say ?

My /home and / are indeed in separate partition in the first place. but /root is also in /.

Anyway, since that 's that.

Can someone pls answer me on this below ?

Nobody explained to me if i set “location tab” of timeshift to sdb2 (because this is the biggest partition available), sdb2 is my /home directory, then will timeshift works ? will it causing loop ? (as timeshift will backup what it backup what it backup what it backup… infinite loop…)
Else where should i set timeshift "snapshot location " ?

1 Like

yes the user account /root which is a directory lives inside / the partiotn containing the os…you have already stated this yourself.

1 Like

Dont you already have a thread for this?

1 Like

Huh ? have a thread for that ? what do you mean ? No body answered me regarding that…

I was guessing regarding this. I can’t figure out how to proof that my /root is in / .

For the sake of what you are doing, it doesn’t really matter.

That being said, the only way it wouldn’t be in / is if it was mounted separately. So if it isn’t mounted separately, it is inside /.

1 Like

Oh i see, so there is not possible at all that /root could be in /home… ok, since you put it this way, i will just accept that.

Pls answer me regarding the snapshot location setting… i need to know that to start timeshifting.

Just forget about your root user’s home directory (/root). nobody cares about it, at least when it comes to timeshift. :smiley:

You can set any directory you want for your timeshift location. I personally use /home/timeshift just because my /home is on a separate HDD, so if my root (/) HDD fails for some reason, I can restore the snapshot to a different HDD.

2 Likes

will looping not occurs ? since it backup the very same directory it dump the backup data in ?

It won’t. Timeshift snapshot directory is not included in snapshots.

Got it!
Thanks guys. I have being waiting for this moment (everything explained and clear) to start timeshift the whole day already lol.

Timeshift should work out of the box with default settings, without you changing anything (except enabling cronie).

But i am not confident about it without clearing, that all the timeshifting efford could be just a waste of time or false sense of security if not get configured correctly.

Anyway, that’s done. Thank you.

1 Like

Well, there is always a chance you’ll mess something up. You’ve got to accept that as a possibility and relax a bit. In the worst case, you’ll just reinstall the OS (this is almost never necessary, but almost always fixes all the problems).

We all broke our systems many times before we learnt better :wink:

Just keep all important data backed up on a separate, external drive. That is the only thing in your computer that is irreplaceable.

2 Likes

I do occasionally back up my home directory and everything. It’s usually right before I delve into something stupid (like last night) trying to make leftwm the manager in xfce. Or, like when I learned how to setup a swap file. Whenever I know I’m about to so something I’m likely going to fail at and ruin config files in, that’s when I save everything.

Otherwise it would suck if an update ruined your system
And you just finished writing a paper for work, or some photo in gimp. To restore your home directory with it and then find out it’s not there anymore.

I do one backup pretty month approx. I figure once a month for the arch iso update is often enough for me. I can roll thru the updates again myself.

2 Likes