Need Help Downgrading Nvidia

So, this recent nvidia-dkms 495.46 update has broken some of my software that I need for work.

I’m currently trying to downgrade it until there’s some fix.

Using the AUR’s downgrade script, I’m attempting to re-install nvidia-dkms 495.44 but there are some unresolvable dependencies stopping me.

warning: downgrading package nvidia-dkms (495.46-1 => 495.44-6)
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "nvidia-utils=495.44", a dependency of "nvidia-dkms"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      nvidia-dkms

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N] 
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'nvidia-utils=495.44' required by nvidia-dkms

I’m unsure how to go about resolving these and could use some help… Thanks a bunch for any help

Downgrade them both at the same time.

sudo downgrade nvidia-dkms nvidia-utils
3 Likes

Thanks mate. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that. Easy as pie

1 Like

Which software?

I find it strange that the minimal change in 495.46 is having such widespread effects… :confused:

2 Likes

manjaro testing porpose a downgrade version to 945-44

I’m sure they are, even though NVIDIA had some reason to make such a small update.

I also wonder what the common factors are in those systems/installations finding an issue with the update, and whether it is the driver or something related to Python 3.10, a kernel module, or a module included in the initramfs.

I think it’s an X related problem. https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/73031?project=1&string=nvidia

The software not working for me is Steam, and my music production software, Bitwig.

Here’s what Steam via terminal gives me

[2022-01-03 05:50:23] Startup - updater built Dec 16 2021 22:39:04
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1639697812)
SteamUpdateUI: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)

*****Edit: Also, to anyone who may find this thread on Google, lib32-nvidia-utils needed to be downgraded to match the version of nvidia-dkms and nvidia-utils.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.