My system isn't booting

This started appearing everytime i boot my endeavour os

t 0.1681761 ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\\_SB. _OSC.CDW11,
AE_NOT_FOUND (20210930/psargs-330)
0.1682281 ACPI Error: Aborting method __SB _OSC due to previous error (AE_N
OT_FOUND) (20210930/psparse-529)
1.0491401 Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root is on unknown-block(0,0)
1.0494981 CPU: PID: 1 Cor swapper Not tainted 5.16.0-arch1-1 #1 06f1bf38b4a7de1d45569405e9130eb32320269d
t 1.0499251 Hardware name: Positivo Informatica SA H14BTS8/H14BT58, BIOS 1.07.U 05/15/2015
[ 1.0502641 Call trace:
t 1.050381 (TASK>
1.0504891 dump_stack lul*@x 48 x66
1.0506791 panic x107_0x240
1.0506431 nount_block_root+0x102/8x1ce
1.0510141 prepare_namespaceEx136/Qx165
1.05123? nest Init.do/Bado
[ 1.0514031 kernel_initx16 @x130
1.6515711 Netfron forkx22x30
[ 1.0517541 <IASK>
1.651957) Kernel Offset: Oxide00000 from exffffffff81000000 (relocation range: exffffffffaccc0000-Oxfffffffffffffff)
1.052487) --- end kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) }

(Sorry if there’s something written wrong i used an app to transcribe it)

I’m using rEFInd to do a dual boot with windows 10,
And the last thing that I’ve done before this happen was updating the sistem i think… But i dont remember if whas just after it or no.

Sorry if this isn’t the right topic to post this, i dont know were else this would fit

You can try to use that: “acpi=off” in bootloader (not sure how that works in rEFInd exactly, its what I would use on grub though) options when booting and see if it works.
Otherwise, roll back on a backup before upgrading. (I hope you have a backup of your system, if not, you should have a backup plan. Especially on a rolling release OS).

Hmm, were exactly i shold put this “acpi=off” ? In the same place were is written “ro root=UUID…” ?
About the backup, no i dont have it… The sistem already have a tool to do it?

As I said, I am not 100% sure how that works on rEFInd. But for Grub you would just press key “e” on the Kernel entry and add the acpi=off to the boot parameters.

Remember, that is temporarily. If it boots that means that the ACPI of your PC is most likely not compatible with the OS. At least that is my guess.

Did you upgrade the System and therfor the Kernel to the latest version?

Edit: nvm. yes you are on the latest Kernel

Not tainted 5.16.0-arch1-1

Hmm, i just updated the sistem normally with that update tool that came on it. Oh ok

Also this

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root is on unknown-block(0,0)

usually means that the Kernel doesn’t support the filesystem. Or the root devices name is wrong that is passed to the Kernel. You could change that with “root=” parameter in the kernel command line on the bootloader.

Use live USB stick and look for drive names that have filesystems like ext4 etc. or whatever you use.

lsblk

Hmm ok, now i just need to find out how to change this kernel command line in refind

Ok… Hey, using refind i can boot grub and change this settings, but when i use this grub it just get stucked with the messages “loading linux linux…” And “loading initial ramdisk …”

Sorry I can’t help you on that thing. Pretty sure somebody will come here and knows more about it than me.

One suggestion I’ve for you. Please take the time after you resolved your problems hopefully, and take care about a proper backup solution before updating your system. It is so much easier to research potential issues you had with the update without losing any data.

Look here: https://forum.endeavouros.com/search?q=backup%20solution

Edit:

Ok… Hey, using refind i can boot grub and change this settings, but when i use this grub it just get stucked with the messages “loading linux linux…” And “loading initial ramdisk …”

Ok try with the “root=” parameter (without the quotes " " )after you looked up your partitions names and devices names, like I said.

Ok, Thanks!
Edit: hmmm, ok!

hmm, i think the best way to fix this would really be just reinstalling the sistem and start doing backups to make sure that im not getting hooked into this problem again.

Reinstalling usually fixes the problem.

But if you don’t know what actually caused the problem, it won’t keep you from it recurring again.

You can boot in rEFInd with the linuz-linux image file or with grubx64.efi. rEFInd is a boot manager. I also triple boot with rEFInd and have no issues. Looks like you are getting a kernel panic but i don’t know the reason as i have no idea how you have it setup and are using it. Here is some info that may help.

Yeah… Thats why i talked about doing backups now, but thinking more about it, still won’t fix the problem… But nothing works! And I’m already reinstalling the sistem so theres nothing to do now, if it happens again i wold really have to find a way to fix it, so findind possible fixes now would be good.

(Oh, aaaaaaaaaah… The instalation freezed again, i will need to restart everything from the begging…)
(Oh nice! It freezed again! For now i won’t be trying again this takes too long)

As someone else already said. Having backups is important. But at the end of the day it would be good to know what the cause is of your problems right now.

Try out other Linux distros and if they have the same problems, or not. So you could be sure that EOS is not the reason but something else.

Reset BIOS/Updating BIOS could help too. As your BIOS seems to be like almost 7 years old.

t 1.0499251 Hardware name: Positivo Informatica SA H14BTS8/H14BT58, BIOS 1.07.U 05/15/2015

So I guess you are from Brasil, right? At least South-America, but using a PC from a Brasil company? So try to look out for some updates of your specific PC you have from there.

Yeah im from brazil, hmm ok i will look for this! I was already thinking in trying other distros the one that got my attention now is arcolinux

Welcome to :enos: forums.

Arco is a very good distro based on Arch and it would be more suited for a newcomer to Arch.

1 Like

If you can figure out which iso to download.

Lol, i will catch the one with kde i think

Arco Linux D