My how Linux has changed

I found these videos interesting and thought that I would share. The author installs Slackware 1.1 on an old 386 computer and then re-compiles the kernel to get sound and networking at boot. It just shows how far Linux has come from its early days.

Sound and Networking

9 Likes

“Imagine the year is 1993”

YES!!! Yes, PLEASE!!! :space_invader:

:floppy_disk:

Absolutely best moment:

:partying_face:

2 Likes

That is about when I started with slackware. I don’t remember if I started with 1.1 or 2.0. I just remember downloading a bunch of 3.5" disk images.

5 Likes

Yes ! I remember editing by hand the X config file to get my video card working, and editing the LILO bootloader conf file for starting. I do not even speak of the editing and configuration of network… I began my Linux journey with Debian 2.1 and no X because my first video card was not supported. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Now you guys have done it! You’ve gone and made me cry! :sob:

Pudge

3 Likes

Oh fsck me, gotta feed this to my woofer when I’m back home! The memories…

In those days getting hardware to work in Windows was also a bit of struggle. Computing has advanced a lot in general. Plug-and-play was a big thing when it appeared.

3 Likes

Plug and play - first on Amiga :grin: As for Windows, when they went from .ini files (which you could at least copy/paste working parts together!) to that ridiculous registry agglomeration…

1 Like