My /home is broken

Hello, I installed Endeavour os, but my /home which I was using in Fedora (I forgot to set mount point to it when I was installing Endeavour) is empty just with lost+found folder and Gparted says it’s full (there was 2GB left) and running check shows this:

e2fsck -f -y -v -C 0 '/dev/nvme0n1p8'  00:00:01    ( KLAIDA )

Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Entry 'L' in /??? (4587816) references inode 44068 in group 5 where _INODE_UNINIT is set.
Fix? yes

Entry 'M-^W^@P^@^A^BM-^R^A' in ??? (3580044) references inode 11796832 in group 1440 where _INODE_UNINIT is set.
Fix? yes

/dev/nvme0n1p8: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

/dev/nvme0n1p8: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
e2fsck 1.46.5 (30-Dec-2021)
ext2fs_read_inode: Inode checksum does not match inode while reading inode 11796832 in check_filetype
e2fsck: aborted

Looks very broken. Do you have a backup of your data? If so, format the partition and restore.

1 Like

That’s the point, I haven’t got it :frowning:

If the data is important then take the drive to a data recovery expert.

If you want to mess around with it then you can take an image of the partition and try things like testdisk and photorec to see if anything is recoverable. Note that this is not trivial and it’s unlikely anyone is going to walk you through it step-by-step; you might be able to find some references here on the forum and the wider Web.

4 Likes

This can’t be stressed enough. If you have to ask on a forum, you probably don’t know how to recover it, and attempting to do so on your own, without experience, is likely going to destroy any chance of it being recovered. So if that data is really important, you should take the drive to a professional.

You can learn how to do it on data that is not very important.

4 Likes