My EndeavorOS Not Showing All Wi-Fi Network

Yes, that is the package I used.

You are right. It is only for the live session. You have to reinstall the dmks driver after finishing the installation.

What is the output of ip a and nmcli

You certainly don’t have to do it that way, I just think it is easier. :wink:

1 Like

Ah! chroot before rebooting at the end of the installation is something I did not have in mind.
Thanks for this hint. :+1:

Me either! That is something i haven’t done before to install a package.

[liveuser@eos-2021.04.17 ~]$ ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
2: enp2s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.x.19/24 brd 192.168.x.255 scope global wlan0
    inet6 xxxx::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx/64 scope link noprefixroute 
[liveuser@eos-2021.04.17 ~]$ nmcli
wlan0: connected to xxxxxx_xxxxx_5GHz
        "Realtek Renoir GPP Bridge"
        wifi (rtw89_pci), xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, hw, mtu 1500
        ip4 default
        inet4 192.168.x.19/24
        route4 0.0.0.0/0
        route4 192.168.x.0/24
        route4 192.168.x.250/32
        route4 0.0.0.0/0
        inet6 xxxx::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx/64
        route6 fe80::/64

enp2s0: unavailable
        "Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411"
        ethernet (r8169), xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, hw, mtu 1500

lo: unmanaged
        "lo"
        loopback (unknown), 00:00:00:00:00:00, sw, mtu 65536

DNS configuration:
        servers: 192.168.x.1
        domains: xxxxxxxx.xxxx
        interface: wlan0

Can you ping 192.168.x.1?

Does nslookup ifconfig.co work?

Can you ping 9.9.9.9

1 Like

No.

[liveuser@eos-2021.04.17 ~]$ nslookup ifconfig.co
Server:		127.0.0.53
Address:	127.0.0.53#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	ifconfig.co
Address: 104.21.25.86
Address: 172.67.133.228
Address: 2606:4700:3036::ac43:85e4
Address: 2606:4700:3036::6815:1956

Yes.

I have to admit that these results confuse me.

Just to clarify, you replaced x with the correct number?

If so, you may have ping turned off on that device.

Well…if you can do dns lookups and hit external addresses what isn’t working?

Yes, I replaced it with the correct number.
No, ping is not turned off, because when I plugin ethernet ping is working for this address.

I checked it several times. It is really wierd. Sometimes ping is working and sometimes not.
And nslookup behaves that way too.
I have seen one time that Wi-Fi was reconnecting. After that ping was working for a short time and then stopped.

Most of the time it is not possible to open any web page including Google. Sometimes a page opens but it needs really long time.

To be honest: it seems to be the best way to make the installation with ethernet and at the end of the installation chroot and install the Wi-Fi driver from AUR.

Thanks for your help and your patience!

I’m confused? Can you not just use Ethernet after the installation to install the wifi driver and then disconnect Ethernet. If Ethernet is working why do you need to chroot into it? Ethernet will be working as it is a kernel module r8169 that loads on booting. :thinking:

1 Like

Sure I can install the Wi-Fi driver after the first reboot and then disconnect ethernet.
Because the laptop will be running only with Wi-Fi I thought to install the Wi-Fi driver just before the reboot and disconnect ethernet before the reboot. Just to try if this works or not.

I assume you have successfully installed EndeavourOS.

As @dalto and @ricklinux said, do the following steps in this order:

1. Use the wired connection to install all drivers and packages related to your wifi hardware. No need to chroot anything.
  2. Shut down the computer.
  3. Unplug the ethernet cable.
  4. Boot again, hopefully wifi works now.
2 Likes

Not on the mentioned laptop. I will do this tomorrow or during the week.

This would be the way if installing with ethernet completly.
We discussed if it would be possible to install the Wi-Fi driver during the install. As written above it is possible to install the driver in the live system but internet is not working properly. In addition we discussed if it would be possible to install the driver at the end of the installation with chrooting the system that I do have the driver installed before the installed system starts the first time.
I will give this way a try, just to find out if it is working or not.

Why wouldn’t you be installing it with Ethernet if you have that capability knowing that WiFi doesn’t work on the live ISO because no module is installed or loaded for it? Then EOS is installed and you boot into it on Ethernet and use yay to install the AUR package for WiFi. Then you will have WiFi when you disconnect Ethernet. It’s not necessary to chroot or build the package other ways if you have internet access with Ethernet. I was referring to other options because i thought your Ethernet wasn’t working. I’m still confused? Does Ethernet work or not? Or is this just something you just want to understand doing?

OK, so EndeavourOS is not installed at all because you get no network, right?
Could you use your phone with USB tethering for doing the install phase?

According to the output for network it’s showing r8169. So if he has no Ethernet it is again the same old problem of r8168 & r8169.

Edit:

Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
  IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
  Device-2: Realtek driver: N/A

So this would be the route to try first.

1 Like

That might be it. Noticed the same before but then I forgot it…

1 Like

@marteng69

Please try the r8168 workaround per the wiki as posted above. That should give you ethernet if it’s not working on the r8169 kernel module. Then you should have ethernet to install and after booting into the installed system you should see if ethernet still working and then you can install the wifi AUR package with yay. Sorry for the confusion on my part. :wink:

I am trying to install the right module for Wi-Fi in the live system just to find out if it is working or not. It seems to be the more complicated way, but it is just to improve my own skills.

Ethernet is working fine in the live system.

See above, ethernet is working but I wanted to install via Wi-Fi, which is not working properly because the RTL8852AE is not supported by the kernel.

Sorry for confusing everybody. :pensive: