MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX running Linux/Endeavour OS

Hello gents, just wanted to confirm for those who have this particular motherboard that it runs just fine under Linux.
Currently booted the latest ISO, no issues found.
Specs:
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX latest official BIOS/AGESA version.
CPU 2200G
RAM 2X 8 GB DDRAM4 Crucial 3200 CL 16 ( OC to 3466)
eEVGA PSU 650 W

Ran in some issues a few weeks before, the kernel had some wierd parameter set that affected Vega graphics, now it’s ok.
So there you have it. Hope that helps someone.

4 Likes

Thanks @Anticupidon for this info about 2200G which doesn’t work anymore on DEEPIN (debian) computer’s dad, stopped at 11.7 version.

EOS really fast with :rocket::

• MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
  • Ryzen 1600
  • 8Go RAM 3200 Crucial Ballistix
1 Like

Don’t mention it, is the least I can do for this community.
Once I’ll get my 3700X, will post some info about it and the whole platform performing under EOS.

3700X ho my Sh… t !
You will have the faster CPU on this forum, I think.

Ryzen did a huge step these last years. :rocket:

Wasn’t aware about other’s hardware configuration. Main reason going for that CPU is low TDP and 8C/16T. Will try to have different OSs and use it with bare virtualization -Xen Orchestra/NPG anyone? and as my main rig.
Slowly trying to build a small lab for getting some certifications.
Willing to share whatever you guys need about hardware and configurations.

Yep, low TDP 65W max this what I check before to choose a CPU.
1600 6C/12T
3700X 8C/12T
At the end sure the price is not the same.

For sure, I will see your test with your futur lab about EOS that I found very fast. It’s flying. :rocket:

Nice… I’m trying to decide whether to get the 3800X or the 3900X i already have an MSI x570 gaming pro board and Gigabyte RX590 video card waiting. The 3900X is a bit pricey here @$709.00 cdn The 105W is the only thing i don’t like about both.

105W is practically double than 65W !
You could push Ryzen to make a new 3800X with 85W max in not buying it…

I know that is a dilemma for me. I like the 3900X 12 core 24 thread but don’t like the 105W and the price! 3800X is also 105W but price is almost $175 less and 3700X is even cheaper and only 65W with both of these 8 core 16 thread if i’m not mistaken. I’m sitting on the fence. :smile:

@ricklinux you know, whatever you choose, it’s all right at the end of the day.
But if you want to listen so some hardware ramblings, well, here you have:
IMHO the 3800X is a 3700X pumped up a bit and cherry-picked. Looking at the benchmarks, it hardly justifies the price difference with the 3700X.
Now, 3900X is where trouble starts, the actual AGESA microcode keeps pumping a somehow high idle voltage, not to mention the PBO.
That CPU will generate a lot of heat, and beneath the IHS has two chiplets, the challenge is to keep cool two chips. -to say it so.
But it is a CPU to behold, and why not, own and enjoy.

I’ve been looking at the MSI Tomahawk Max for an upgrade from a dual core Pentium E6700 to a 5 2600. I’m not a gamer or real power user (some compiles and a little photo and video editing). Truth be told I don’t need all of the features on this board, but I do need at least 5 sata ports (6 to be safe) and the micro-ata boards that I’ve considered only support 4. And it appears to be a good upgrade path if I do need to migrate to a Ryzen 3xxx. Good to know it works well for EndeavourOS.

Hi @CMarch

I use right now the Ryzen 1600 and it spurts on EOS, You could play game without any problem with it…

I also thought about getting the Tomahawk B450 but decided on the MSI X570 Gaming Plus board. Not that i’m a gamer but i liked the looks of it too. I think i’m popping in 32 GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200 with a Gigabyte RX590 8GB Video card. I’m trying to make sure it outdoes my Intel I7 8086 Anniversary processor with 32 GB and a GTX 1060

The Ryzen 7 3700X $429.00 3800X $489.00 Ryzen 9 3900X $698.00 (All plus taxes)
I can’t decide easily because it’s expensive. I could get the 3600X for $309.00

If you thought about B450, it’s not a big difference with B350 for the price, just more usb and more SATA I suppose !
I use an B350 Tomahawk Artic, and it works very well on EOS.

@FLVAL thanks for the advice. Ilooked at some M350 boards. They are pretty scarce right now as newer B450 models hit the shelf. In the end updated USB on the M450 Tomahawk Max shifted me to that side of the fence.

@ricklinux my whole system:
New: Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GB memory, MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, and Corsair Quiet case
Gift from my son: Corsair HX850i power supply
Reused: SSDs, harddrives, optical drive, video card, mouse, keyboard and monitor
total out of pocket cost less than the lowest cpu you are considering! Of course it is a much more modest system too.

Nothing wrong with that hardware. The Tomahawk B450 was on my radar but i decided to go with the X570. I already have the MSI board and the RX590 8 GB Gigabyte Video card. I am waiting a bit for prices to come down on the CPU’s. I don’t need another computer but i wished i had of built the AMD over Intel because of the multi thread security issues.

The parts that I don’t already have are on order. Hopefully by next weekend I’ll be up to my elbows assembling hardware and installing EndeavourOS KDE/Plasma. I’ll report back then how the install went.

I can tell you i have EndeavourOS Plasma installed in vbox and it works really nice. This is on my Intel i7 8086 on an Asus Z370 Pro Gaming board with a Nvidia GTX 1060 6 GB with 32 GB DDR4 2666 It’s a little more than i needed that’s for sure but this was my first UEFI board. All my other stuff is 13+ years old.

Finally finished the new computer. And it runs EndeavourOS KDE/Plasma like a champ.

Ryzen 5 2600
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
eVga Nvidia GK104 [GeForce GTX 770]
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2X8GB) 3000MHz
Corsair HX850i power supply
Samsung SSD EVO 1T
Crucial SSD 500GB
Seagate 5T harddrive
“NoName” Optical Drive
Corsair 110Q Quiet Mid-tower (no windows, just a black box, and it is quiet)
IBM Model M Part Number 1390131

Running all the cables hidden from the motherboard side of the case and behind the motherboard mounting surface was a pain. I could have done a better job if I had taken more time, but I was like a little kid at Christmas, just prancing to boot it up and load an OS.

Now I need to go to Tomahawk school. With my old motherboard there was a scant handful of ways you could screw up. With the MSI Tomahawk BIOS it’s a jungle with hundreds of ways.

I don’t remember which version of EndeavourOS that I installed from (August or October). I had both USB drives on my desk and blindly picked one up. At any rate KDE/Plasma and X11 installed without a hitch. No Wayland at boot up and no graphics problems.

1 Like

Nice setup. How much did it break you for all the parts? I’m just getting some now myself. I have an x570 MSI board and the Gigabyte RX590 video card. Just waiting on getting a Cpu and memory and drives and case and power supply too. It’s expensive when you add it up especially the newest gear.